Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Oven Build in SC

Thanks for the kind comments people. As slow as it's going I feel like I'm taking baby steps, but it is what it is.
I have to say that's a relief about the homebrew. I wasn't to worried but now I'm relieved. As far as the arch height being a little off, after hearing from you all I will let it stand as it is.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Journeyman

Videts
that's a good looking arch - I wouldn't mess with it either. Maybe I missed your post on it but what are the arch and dome dimensions? I see you said the opening height is almost 13". If that is the radius I would have said it would be too wide, unless you lifted it an inch or too before staring the semi circle - i.e about 20" opening width would be about right.
If that is the case and you want to tie the dome to it properly - you should also lift your IT the same amount at the dome centre. It will give you a higher dome but will tie perfectly to the arch. You can test this by rotating your IT to the top centre of the arch (the keystone). It should fit pretty good there when you have it the right height off the floor.
Good luck with your building you've made a great start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Apprentice

Thanks AMAC. I have approx. 42.5 dia dome (tried for 42") and the inner archway is 20.25 (tried for 20") wide by 12 13/16 high (and tried for 12 1/2"). The IT tool ties in with the center of the arch almost perfectly now. I try to measure and measure twice and after cutting and placing these bricks they seem to grow!! (lol) I believe what happened was the mortar joints did not tighten up like I planned and were a little wider than my calculations. All in all though I believe the the dome should tie in correctly, by moving the IT tool around it all lines up. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by videts38; 11-07-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Journeyman

That seems about perfect !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

videt
Mine grew oven magically expanded to a 42.5 ish too don't worry.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-10-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 AM
Apprentice

Well, finally back at it and made some progress over the Christmas holiday!!
After a spell of wet and cold weather it feels good to get back to my little project. After cutting a few bricks bass ackwards. I'm finding it takes some time and thought to cut these bricks correctly. I'm up to the fourth course and things are going to start getting a little trickier. I'm finding I can't cut as many and drystack them with out some sliding so I think I'm at the point where I cut three or four and mortar them in. Unfortunately vacation time is over and now I will only have the weekends with good weather to get any work done. I had thought I would have been starting some curing fires by now but...... Oh well, I'm now shooting for Easter!!! providing it's not too cold to get some mortaring of the bricks done.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build in SC-sdc13037-optimized.jpg   Oven Build in SC-sdc13039-optimized.jpg   Oven Build in SC-sdc13038-optimized.jpg  

Last edited by videts38; 01-02-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Videt,

Cuts are looking good and tight. Take your time, if you are soaking bricks before laying, maybe just a quick dip. Cut you a couple notched sticks to hold bricks in place while you move on. I learned this trick from Tu, set an anchor brick, say middle of course, let sit overnight, then you can work on both side of anchor brick, giving the just laid brick time to set while you set one on the other side of the anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build in SC-46-course-8-finished-anchor-block  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by videts38 View Post
I'm up to the fourth course and things are going to start getting a little trickier. I'm finding I can't cut as many and drystack them with out some sliding so I think I'm at the point where I cut three or four and mortar them in. Unfortunately vacation time is over and now I will only have the weekends with good weather to get any work done. I had thought I would have been starting some curing fires by now but...... Oh well, I'm now shooting for Easter!!! providing it's not too cold to get some mortaring of the bricks done.
Its looking VERY good. Patience is key. If you can manage that, your oven will excel your expectations. I ran out of patience at course 8 or so and my oven turned out within my expectations and I am very happy. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Apprentice

Excellent work and happy new year! you're making great progress and those courses look perfect from here. I started my summer project in May of 2012. While I am enjoying pizza and bread, I'm still not finished. Enjoy the process and keep posting those pictures it's a lot of fun to be engaged on the forms.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Steven,

Exceptional cutting and tolerances on your inner arch joints. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

John