Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Serf

Default Re: Oven Build in SC

Any thoughts on the door for the oven? Sources, functionality, and pricing?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good idea on leaving the forms up on the vcrete. My toes buggered up my FoamGlass insulation layer. Use a 1/4" notch trowel to lay your fire clay/sand mix. Just like setting floor tiles. If you use a slurry you may need to water down the IFB be keep them from sucking all the water out of the slurry. I see you are designing your opening, consider a tapered arch, it will make the dome tie-ins easier. Look at GianniFocaccia or Karangi Dudes build for a baseline. Keep up the good work.....addicting hug!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Russell, I picked up a 1/4" nothched trowel last night! I was going to go for a dry sand/fireclay mixture because like you mentioned I thought the IFB layer would suck all the water out of the slurry. Are you aware of any adverse effects of using a dry sand/fireclay mixture to set the floor?
I've been looking over GianniFocaccia or Karangi Dudes builds as well as yours and about a hundred other ones. I get kind of mind boggled after a while and just go for it and just accept it. Which makes me nervous at times. (lol)

By the way, I've been following your counter work and like what your doing. I'm planning on something along those lines also. I appreciate you taking the lead!!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used a slurry but I have seen people use a dry mix as well. Spend the time to figure out a taper arch and when you build trust your IT. It will help you marry the dome and arch and minimize the dreaded droop. GianniaF really has a good explanation on determining angles of your taper with good input from others. Yell if you have questions.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Apprentice

Hi Colrain01340,
No I haven't put to much thought into the door yet but will need to sooner or later. But from my readings on the forum you need to have an insulated door (or something) to be able to do any baking of breads and other goodies to ensure the oven holds the heat. Not being a welder/fabricator I'm sure that will be an out-sourced item!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Utah,
Appreciate your willingness on any questions. I have read GianniaF blog a number of times and will probably be reading it a bunch more in addition to others. I am concerned about the tie-in of the arch/dome and the dreaded droop!!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking good! Laying the floor is a pretty easy (and very satisfying) job. With the skills you are demonstrating, you will blaze through it. Only really thought provoking part is figuring out how to avoid small brick bits at the edges - which you appear to have sorted out for your IFB course.

Speaking of that - when I priced IFB it was quite spendy. More than the CF board IIRC. Did you find a good price on it?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Oven Build in SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by videts38 View Post
Thanks Utah,
Appreciate your willingness on any questions. I have read GianniaF blog a number of times and will probably be reading it a bunch more in addition to others. I am concerned about the tie-in of the arch/dome and the dreaded droop!!
Gianni's is documented very well. Keep in mind how much of the inner arch that you want to protrude to be part of your vent. Russel and DJ did a great job on their arch as well. Stick with those and you have it made. The hardest part for me was the setup and where that arch actually sits in relation to the center of the dome. Gianni's method of using that board cut to the dome curve and top of arch is the best way IMO. It will make more sense as you start building.
Tracy

Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Apprentice

Hi deejayoh,
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I found a pretty good price on the IFB . I think the cost was almost half what the CF board would have cost me. I think the place I bought them were clearing their inventory. Believe me, I think I would have prefered the larger board to the IFB but all said and done it wasn't too difficult. And with the vrete and IFD the height of the floor came up to a more desireable height.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Apprentice

Texman,
When you mention "how much I want the inner arch to protrude" are you saying I will need bricks that are longer than 4.5" (half brick) for the archway? Are you aware if there is an advantage to using a full brick or a longer brick to have it protrude more or would that be unnecessary?