Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Oven base installation on existing (uneven) patio

The patio has a crushed gravel base, and is circular. It's surrounded on 2 sides by my house, and on another side by fencing. The open side, for entry/exit is only about 5 feet wide. There's no place outside the immediate circumference of the patio to add a cement slab.

Only 4ft square, it fits perfectly on the patio, where I'd be using it the most. It would look great there too. If it isn't located on the patio, I'd need to stick it in the back yard. I'd rather not do that.

But -- a crumpled pile of cinder blocks with an oven on top wouldn't look great on my patio either.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with Dmun.

The possibility of differential settlement is a concern. I suggest you take up the brick where the footprint of your oven is proposed and pour a reinforced slab.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
I agree with Dmun.

I suggest you take up the brick where the footprint of your oven is proposed and pour a reinforced slab.
If I tore out a section of the patio, I think my wife would kill me and cremate my body in the oven. With a 28" i.d., it might take her a couple days...but she'd do it.

Looks like I may need a Plan B. I did place a call to the guy that built the patio to get his thoughts. But if he says "Go ahead and build on the brick," he'll be the first guy to do so. Everything I can find tells me otherwise.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Peasant

After a massive survey, I have resigned myself to keeping my patio in-tact and installing a slightly-bigger-than-4ft cement slab next to my patio. Unfortunately this poses 2 problems --

1.) The patio is round. Anyone have a nice method of abutting a cement slab next to a round, brick patio?

2.) The patio slopes down to the ground immediately after its edge. The ground is probably 2 feet below the patio surface. Is anyone familiar with a method of creating an "elevated" thick slab to meet level with my patio surface? Should I build a mortared cinder block frame and fill it with 2.5 feet of cement atop a gravel base? How deep would the gravel base need to be? Vertical rebar on the inside support it?

Thanks for the guidance, everyone. You probably saved me a damaged patio and oven. That would have been a major downer.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Anyone have a nice method of abutting a cement slab next to a round, brick patio?"

Have you considered building it on piers ?

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ucer-3033.html (Flying Saucer)

Or the nice one George (Fxpose) did:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-12677.html (My 3-Legged Dome)

Last edited by Neil2; 06-14-2011 at 11:36 AM.