Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: WHich Oven ?

Clay is not adobe, but adobe is unrefined clay with the addition of some straw as reinforcing and perhaps some added sand, so it's still essentially clay.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The numbers for adobe do not match those for clay as in a clay body used to make brick, in any respect, thermally.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The clay in adobe is like the clay in a common house brick. It's not the same as the clay in fire brick. Adobe < clay < fireclay. You can keep researching but I'm done with this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
The clay in adobe is like the clay in a common house brick. It's not the same as the clay in fire brick. Adobe < clay < fireclay. You can keep researching but I'm done with this one.
Yes, I'm about done on the topic too, but it's been a good discussion, thanks. The thing that interests me though is whether there would be any measurable difference in unfired or fired clay for any given sample. It is also possible that low duty bricks with low thermal conductivity are actually less thermally conductive than a cob mixture.

Last edited by david s; 08-21-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
The numbers for adobe do not match those for clay as in a clay body used to make brick, in any respect, thermally.
Thanks TS, can you post those numbers and save me from doing my own tests?
Not interested in the max service temp as that is way beyond what we use anyway, just the thermal conductivity at the temp range we use.
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by david s; 08-22-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you look in wikipedia, it has the numbers for adobe, they are not the same as for a clay body. Adobe is loam, of which clay is a component.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
If you look in wikipedia, it has the numbers for adobe, they are not the same as for a clay body. Adobe is loam, of which clay is a component.
Thanks Tom,
It seems the thermal conductivity is substantially lower for adobe, although that may be accounted for by the lower % of clay in the mix. I had thought the clay content was much higher. I'm now more curious than I was before, to find out whether the firing of a given sample of a clay body will increase its thermal conductivity. I still may do a test if I can find the time.
Dave

CIGR-AGENG 2012 - Full Papers
Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Master Builder

Hi Woodfiredoven,

Are you still here? If so, please post some photos of your Clay and Abode ovens.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Serf

Hi Laurentius, if you look in the photo gallery around page 3and 4 you will see a couple of my ovens, thank you have a great day
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodFireOvens View Post
Hi Laurentius, if you look in the photo gallery around page 3and 4 you will see a couple of my ovens, thank you have a great day
I hit the the link and they show random photos. Is there anything that can lead me to your?