Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: WHich Oven ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickstrings View Post
Brickie, Your right , it does depend on how you build it.....but he asked about this one Home - Italiano Forni Its allready built and I don't see a damper on it, but I guess it could have one...
My reply was for all to see and dispel the myth that ovens with a flue in the roof wont work, and not aimed at anyone in particular.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodFireOvens View Post
Hi, you can build any size oven you like from Clay, Adobe, and save alot of money! And will do the same thing, as any brick oven will.
("You can build any oven you like from Clay, Adobe, and save alot of money!") TRUE! ("And will do the same thing, as any brick oven will.") Bull s--t! A non insulated brick oven will not do the same as a properly well insulated brick oven will do and that comparing apples with apples. Yet, they will all provide fun, good food and a sense of a job well done, by the builder, but also headaches and frustration once you want it do something beyond its capability.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Clay and adobe will not hold heat like a firebrick oven. Not even close to the same performance. Maybe it is the same while there is a fire going, but they will cool much more quickly.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nope, I haven't because I wanted an oven to bake in. Are you disputing the point that the heat retention properties are different? Sounds like you are agreeing.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
yeah yeah yeah , Clay and Adobe wont hold heat, like firebrick will. Have you ever made a oven from Adobe or Clay?
Why do you think they stopped utilizing Clay and Adobe ovens on a grand scale, considering the expense of bricks during the heydays of WFO? We do not say that they don't serve a purpose, but you can't disprove the science in the function of the materials. Broken bottle and glass has value as an insulation, but not as a thermal insulator of an oven or kiln as would ceramic fiber boards and blankets(science)!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Tone it down guys we are here on this post trying to help out Nick. If you want to debate the finer point of brick vs adobe start a new thread or pm each other.
Well, he hasn't visited the site for about a month... so I say it's and adobe vs. brick free for all

JK

On a more serious note - it's not advice that is going to find much support on this forum. Adobe has it's advocates I am sure, but not so many here where there is a pretty strong focus on optimizing oven performance.
brickie in oz likes this.

Last edited by deejayoh; 08-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Tone it down guys we are here on this post trying to help out Nick. If you want to debate the finer point of brick vs adobe start a new thread or pm each other.
I hope Nick and other newbies will be helped by knowing mis-information, when exposed to it. You shouldn't ignore it, just because it pops up in the wrong place, should you??
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Look at all the energy and labor it takes to make Firebricks, compared to free Adobe soil! For insulation Wool will out perform any of your Hi tech insulation.
Nobody is saying that you are wrong in all things! You can not make a Blanket statement, and be correct about everything.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: WHich Oven ?

here goes...

WFO

Chip is referring to the temperature of saturated firebrick. That in contact with wool would be a disaster.

As far as adobe/soil ovens-they have been around since the beginning of time i suppose. proven over and over and over. As you look around the forum, you will notice most of the discussion is around ovens using modern materials. While you may have built a 1000 ovens, i am guessing that have not built a brick oven using modern materials nor would you ever. Am i correct? If we didn't live in the post industrial revolution and the modern societal decay and only had access to adobe; i am sure that is what this forum would discuss. But that would require us to use energy to power our computers. So, not sure. Also, the appearance of the adobe oven is not one that i prefer.

One reason that i prefer the brick oven, besides appearance, is space. We dont have huge areas for adobe ovens. And, while you may be very comfortable with working with soil, we prefer relying on materials that are more predictable to us. We dont intend to do this again and expect these ovens to last a lifetime.

Oh and by the way-what was the thread topic? Oh yea-Nick and what oven?

If you want to contribute a plan and materials for him, by all means do so. That is what he asked for.

Texman

Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
If your outside wall gets to 600c you have one lame oven! MRCHPSTER, nice try, looks like the unexpected just got burned
In addition the US national uniform fire code contains the following entry

"Masonry chimneys completely outside the building wall must have a 1 inch clearance to combustibles (from wall sheathing, from framing passing thru soffit, etc.). Masonry chimneys inside must have a 2 inch clearance to combustibles."

Since wool is combustable how do you keep it 1 - 2 inches away from the adobe? Our fire department considers the entire firebox the same as the chimney and would not allow me to build with wool, or styrofoam which has an insulating value over twice that of wool but is also combustable.

Please do not try to get the users on this site to do something illegal and dangerous.