Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   North House Folk Scool (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/north-house-folk-scool-20284.html)

NCMan 01-06-2014 09:52 AM

North House Folk School

Hi, everyone. I am set up to attend a weeklong class up in Minn., at North House Folk School in a few months on Wood Fired Brick Oven Building. Does anyone have any experience w/them? I want to build an oven for myself, then, hopefully build them for others. I do have a concrete/masonry background, but know next to nothing about building brick ovens. Thanx, Carl from NC.

stonecutter 01-06-2014 08:43 PM

Re: North House Folk Scool

What part of NC?

Les 01-06-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCMan (Post 167742)
Hi, everyone. I am set up to attend a weeklong class up in Minn., at North House Folk School in a few months on Wood Fired Brick Oven Building. Does anyone have any experience w/them? I want to build an oven for myself, then, hopefully build them for others. I do have a concrete/masonry background, but know next to nothing about building brick ovens. Thanx, Carl from NC.

Carl, why don't you go to the FB store and download the free set of plans for ovens most have built here. I have a hunch that the class will be building the Allan Scott design. It's a great oven but it's geared more toward baking then pizza. It would be good to understand the pros and cons of both. Good luck w/ the class and hopefully the temps will be above -40 ;)

Greenman 01-06-2014 11:53 PM

I reckon that this forum, when added to the material you can download, is the equivalent of the best that a school can offer. If you already have skills as a mason then what is to be found around this forum/site should be all that you need to get you off and flying straight.

If rank amateurs can knock out good looking completely functional ovens this way it has to be some sort of recommendation. Scour the threads......... you will make the same conclusion.

Just my humble opinion. Good luck with your build which ever way you chose to move. And, welcome to the forum.

Xene 01-07-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenman (Post 167788)
I reckon that this forum, when added to the material you can download, is the equivalent of the best that a school can offer. If you already have skills as a mason then what is to be found around this forum/site should be all that you need to get you off and flying straight.

If rank amateurs can knock out good looking completely functional ovens this way it has to be some sort of recommendation. Scour the threads......... you will make the same conclusion.

Just my humble opinion. Good luck with your build which ever way you chose to move. And, welcome to the forum.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. The oven is not terribly tricky to build, commonsense (and the free FB plans) will get you most of the way there, but this forum is a treasure trove of advice. I had no masonry experience whatsoever but I managed to pull out a decent oven in one summer with the help here. The members on this forum are the best!

NCMan 01-07-2014 09:05 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is the Scott design they teach. I did download the FB plans and have been looking them over. I may decide to skip the expense and travel costs and keep soaking in the info here. I live near Hendersonville, which is south of Asheville, NC.

NCMan 01-07-2014 09:22 AM

What part of NC?

Near Hendersonville, which is south of Asheville.

NCMan 01-07-2014 09:25 AM

I guess a problem I have is I'm so meticulous w/my masonry work. I just want to do it right the first time and hopefully, be confident enough afterwards to do it for others.

Tscarborough 01-07-2014 09:51 AM

If you already know how to do masonry, then you can build ovens with no problem. Just remember that insulation is your friend, not necessarily mass.

As for being meticulous, that is fine, but please look at this thread that shows Italian commercial builders at work on very expensive, high demand, high output ovens. Use it to keep perspective.

Authentic Neapolitan WFO - How to build -

(also note that they are for continuous commercial use and are not well insulated)

NCMan 01-07-2014 10:39 AM

;)Tscarborough....Thanks. I would like to first know how to build the tool the folks use on here for setting the oven bricks.....aka.....the "IT". Looks fairly simple, but seems like the tool to use. I do love this forum and being able to come here, ask questions and soak in all (or some) of the knowledge from the folks here. Great Forum!! :)