Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: newbie need advise for my oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Could they not be "mortared" together with pearlite and cement mix.
Regards dave
Certainly can and this would be easier than crushing them. The question was can they be crushed to use as an aggregate and I answered accordingly.
Perlite or vermiculite makes a lightweight insulating mixture that is way easier than crushing insulating bricks. But if you have them and they're free they can be used as an aggregate. In my case I wanted a high temperature mix. Both perlite and vermiculite are only good for 1100 C, which is of course way more than you need for a WFO.

Last edited by david s; 07-20-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Yes, you can smash them to create an insulation aggregate, but don't crush them to powder
If I use the bricks halved or aggregate, should I mortar them together or can they remain loose? I will use mesh wire and little mortar on the dome part, then do the final layers of rendering.
If so, I don't need to spend $110 on ceramic blanket is it?

If the above is correct then I just need to buy refractory mortar, water resistant mortar (not sure what to get from Bunnings) and mesh wire and I'm good to go I hope
Old 07-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'd be breaking them into manageable pieces (around half a brick each piece) and fill between them like crazy paving, with homebrew insulation mix 5:1:1:1:1 (perlite or vermiculite,portland cement,sand, builders lime,bricklayers clay. This insulating layer should be at least 100 mm thick. (You don't say how thick your bricks are).This insulation layer does not have to be strong, the outer shell holds it all in place. It is the air that you want to trap in the insulation layer.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I'd be breaking them into manageable pieces (around half a brick each piece) and fill between them like crazy paving, This insulating layer should be at least 100 mm thick.
The bricks are 32x12 and 80mm thick, they are the same size as the fire bricks.
If you say 100mm thick then I shouldn't cut them and I'll use them 'as is' on top of the dome. I guess breaking them apart and do the homebrew mix will make the insulation better but wouldn't it be fine just like this?

I placed a firebrick on the stove this morning with the insulating one on top of it for more than an hour. The temp on top of the insulating brick was 30 degrees. on top of the fire brick was 160 and where the insulating brick touches the fire brick it was 77 degrees.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 07-22-2013, 02:46 AM
Peasant

I just saw an ad on gumtree for ceramic blankets
Price: $70 per roll 600mm wide x 25mm thick x 3600mm long
BUY 2 FOR $99
My bricks+ blanket= 110mm~ of insulation
So that should be good right?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo420 View Post
I just saw an ad on gumtree for ceramic blankets
Price: $70 per roll 600mm wide x 25mm thick x 3600mm long
BUY 2 FOR $99
My bricks+ blanket= 110mm~ of insulation
So that should be good right?
Users on Gumtree just phish for your email addy so they can spam you, why else do you think the deal was so good?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:11 AM
Peasant

ummm I didn't give anyone my email addy... just called the number. Probably someone selling a stock shipped from china

How thick do they normally come as?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: newbie need advise for my oven

Gudday
This is getting to be an awfull amount of effort and good materials going into an oven that's to be pulled apart in a years time and hopefully be able to save the materials . If it was me I would consider two options
One ....buy myself a pizza stone, save the materials and research and dream of next year
Two..... Build an E shaped dry stacked block stand. Bolt together a top from layers of 12 mm compressed concrete and build me a proper ridge didge 25inch oven on that with all the bells and whistles and have 12 months to play. Then ....comes the time, forklift that puppy off and on to a trailer and happily take it to its perminent home.....
Just saying ......
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo420 View Post
The bricks are 32x12 and 80mm thick, they are the same size as the fire bricks.
If you say 100mm thick then I shouldn't cut them and I'll use them 'as is' on top of the dome. I guess breaking them apart and do the homebrew mix will make the insulation better but wouldn't it be fine just like this?

I placed a firebrick on the stove this morning with the insulating one on top of it for more than an hour. The temp on top of the insulating brick was 30 degrees. on top of the fire brick was 160 and where the insulating brick touches the fire brick it was 77 degrees.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
They will conform to the spherical surface better if you halve them.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Peasant

Lightbulb Re: newbie need advise for my oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
forklift that puppy off and on to a trailer and happily take it to its perminent home.....
Just saying ......
Regards dave
If I can use a forklift then I'd build a proper one to begin with.

My design is pretty simple. The heaviest part of my oven will be the dome which will be separate from the cooking floor. It will take a few men to lift up and put on a trailer.
cobblerdave likes this.