Old 06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Newbie mortar question

Les, yes inside radius. Sorry, just not used to explaining things very well. As far as a form, I think I will cut up an old interior door to size, slice the form horizontally and install a couple of hinges on one side and a latch on the other. That way I will be able to fold it and get it through the oven opening when done. Hey, I looked at all your photos, what a grand job, hope mine turns out half as well.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Peasant

I re-read your question. Do you mean if you taper every brick (inside to outside) should they lay flat? Absolutely! I advocate a dry stack - if I could do it over, I would give it a shot (but I would still be cutting brick instead of cooking)

Yes, I got the idea when originally thinking about a barrel vault oven. 42" wide inside. I dry laid all the bricks with wedges and a form. I glued a nail 21" or center at bottom of form and then used a straight edge from the nail to the outside edge of each brick to get the correct angle of arc. Turns out that the keystone when set in place tied this together very well. I pulled the form out very gently and the arch stayed together without any other friction other than the bottom edges of the bricks. No cutting. I was just experimenting.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skemcis View Post
Well, I've got a 4 litre pail of it.
The word "Pail" makes me alarmed. Is this a premixed mortar? Premixed mortars are air-set and remain soluble to water....not the right thing for an outdoor oven.

Drake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Peasant

Yes it is premixed. Well now, am I ever in a steep learning curve. Learning to fly was easier than this project. Anyway, I have sourced some fire clay in 'bags', which should arrive in Kamloops on Thurs/Friday this week. I am wondering if you would be interested in looking at some pictures of the mock up? I think I can post them here. I am having some problems figuring out the transition between the wall and the vent area. The way I understand it is the vent and associated stuff should be thought of as separate from the dome. Given this, I suppose I could create the entire dome (without opening) then cut a door through the brick. Then add vent structure to dome. I know this is overly simplified, but I have been pulling my hair (whats left of it) trying to figure this out. Any, and I do mean any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skemcis View Post
Given this, I suppose I could create the entire dome (without opening) then cut a door through the brick..
Are you on crack? Why not build to the plans - they will get you damn close. It IS hard to visualize, but as you start going vertical you will get the feel. The upside, we are here to walk you through it. I think it's great when people push the edge, but cutting your entry is going to cause some problems - compromising mortar joints come to mind.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Peasant

Les, nope not on crack, although the wife wonders if I'm bordering on insanity with this ......Anyway I figured that cutting a door was not an option, just testing the waters, so to speak. So, I will start the vertical on Saturday, following the plans to the letter.