Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Newbie homemade oven project...

... the barrel was used for food grade vegetable oil
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A CAUTION TO ANYONE wanting to repeat this design, if you use an oil drum then make sure you pressure wash the inside thoroughly with detergent before cutting with either an angle grinder or oxy torch. Many people, all over the world have died cutting drums from the resulting accident where volatile oils and oxygen mixed together inside the drum have ignited, creating a powerful explosion. This happened at my old school where a teacher directed a student to cut up some drums to make some cattle feeders. The teacher now has to live with the knowledge that this accident caused the death of one of his students. The same thing happened to a school friend of mine working alone at his farm.He was also killed.

Last edited by david s; 10-20-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
A CAUTION TO ANYONE wanting to repeat this design, if you use an oil drum then make sure you pressure wash the inside thoroughly with detergent before cutting with either an angle grinder or oxy torch. Many people, all over the world have died cutting drums from the resulting accident where volatile oils and oxygen mixed together inside the drum have ignited, creating a powerful explosion. This happened at my old school where a teacher directed a student to cut up some drums to make some cattle feeders. The teacher now has to live with the knowledge that this accident caused the death of one of his students. The same thing happened to a school friend of mine working alone at his farm.
Could happen. This one had vegetable oil in it, so I wasn't worried. I cut it with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a cutoff wheel. Took about 15 minutes, and worked great with no issues.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You're lucky. Maybe vegetable oil is not so volatile. People think that because the drum is empty then they are safe, but not so.It only takes a tiny amount.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3198271

Last edited by david s; 10-20-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Peasant

Hoping to get to work on this more this weekend.

I am going to be using Rock Wool for my insulation.... should I put a layer of home mix refractory directly on the barrel, and then insulation over that, or insulation right on the barrel, and refractory over that?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The refractory layer will need reinforcement, or it will break apart from the steel thermal cycle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Peasant

I was planning on putting mesh wire on the barrel for the refractory to stick to... this way if it cracks, the wire should hold it on to the barrel.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's good, the refractory will break bond immediately, so reinforcement is crucial. How thick are you planning?

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

To answer your question...refractory first, then insulation.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
That's good, the refractory will break bond immediately, so reinforcement is crucial. How thick are you planning?
Not sure.. maybe ~2-3" thick, and then the Rock Wool is 3" thick. Planning on building a "box" around the oven with concrete board, and will add loose Perlite on top of the Rock Wool.