Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Newbie homemade oven project...

You need to get some calcium silicate board down before you lay the hearth bricks, that is the insulation, not bottles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Peasant

Its too late now!!

Was searching around today trying to locate a propane tank end, but did not have any luck. I will search some more, but may end up going with cob afterall.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Peasant

picked up a steel 55 gallon drum yesterday. Hoping to use that to build my oven around....
Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Poohbair,

Listen to Brickie's advice, "good" floor insulation makes or breaks the ovens, there are many examples of builders who did not insulate the floor properly and went on with their builds only to ask why their ovens do not work correctly. If not CaSi board, vermiculite or perlcrete concrete mix will work too, just thicker. We just don't want to say later told you so.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 10-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Poohbair,

Listen to Brickie's advice, "good" floor insulation makes or breaks the ovens, there are many examples of builders who did not insulate the floor properly and went on with their builds only to ask why their ovens do not work correctly. If not CaSi board, vermiculite or perlcrete concrete mix will work too, just thicker. We just don't want to say later told you so.
The floor over the bottles is Perilite / Mortar Mix that ranges from 2" to 5" thick???
Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Peasant

Was getting ready with my pour, probably put 14 hours of research on this site, and then i saw win bottles...and now im thinking how cool it would be if i told people my hearth was filled with drunkeness. It sounds like it would be strong enough and use air for insulation, but i havent seen anyone else do this yet. Would like to hear an opinion cause i have a wife that likes wine
Art nj likes this.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbair View Post
The floor over the bottles is Perilite / Mortar Mix that ranges from 2" to 5" thick???
At least you have insulation, itll be interesting to see how the oven performs heat wise.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What is your ratio of portland/perlite? I personally think you are fine with what you have. Best option? No. Will it work? Yes.
david s likes this.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
What is your ratio of portland/perlite?
probably close to 50/50?? I didn't measure, I just poured it in a 5 gallon bucket and mixed it up.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, that's a bit rich for an insulating mix...but it will work. I'm curious as to the performance of the bottle/perlcrete comb as an insulator. I suspect because of the slab, your floor will lose heat relatively quickly compared to the dome.

I'm not sure if it is that big a deal though.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin