Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New builder - use lintels for hearth base

Buying pre-mixed bags is way more expensive (at least it is here) than buying the sand and aggregate at a landscaping supplies place. If you fill 20 litre drums you can transport them in a sedan in a few trips.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: New builder - use lintels for hearth base

One advantage to using a well chosen prepackaged concrete product is that the proportions of ingredients will be consistent and correct. That could be important to your doing this for the first time.

Premixed bags are also less mess in the back seat of the car It won't cost that much more....Its a Small percentage of the total cost to go ahead and use the premixed bags. I say go with it and use the bags for your first concrete experience. Buy the components separately next project.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Apprentice

We poured our hearth this morning - I got a one bag cement mixer from Harbor Freight for around $150. Portable Electric Cement Mixer - 1-1/4 Cubic Ft. I will use the heck out of it on this project then probably sell it. A few small points my sons (20 and 13 years old) and I worked out.
1) Using bagged pre-mix: mix a few bags slowly to calculate the right amount of water needed per bag - mark this volume on a bucket.
2) start with 3/4 the water needed in the mixer
3) cut across the middle of the (90 pound) bag the short direction and lift below the cut - you will end up with two open paper sacs - each holding about 45 pounds of premix
4) dump in one "half bag", then the second (easier than pouring from a 90 pound bag into a small mixer) and add the final bit of water.
5) we then dumped into several 2 gallon buckets for transport (my 13 year old would not have lifted a 5 gal bucket)
We also purchased and uses a concrete vibrator. 3/4 HP Concrete VibratorI don't know how necessary this is, but it absolutely settles the wet cement into the form quickly.
I know I am making memories with my sons they will remember (my dad was also in town and lifted a few buckets) - it was a good day. Good Luck.
Lburou likes this.

Last edited by dvm; 06-17-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 AM
Serf

Hi Robb

We used reinforced concrete lintels for our hearth base. There are two steel reinforcing bars present in each.

xcm length to cover the distance of the block work by 210mm x 75mm.

They do the job and it has saved a load of hassle