Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Serf

Default Re: Muds ovens

Are you still considering an earthen oven?? I've built a cob oven and #2 is in the works. I'd love to hear about your plans
Old 09-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi,

Sorry I took so long responding to this. I'm in the middle of moving and things were and are crazy.

Yes, I'm still planning to build a cob oven. If all goes very well, I'll start in the spring. My new place is only temporary and I don't know for certain yet if I'll be buying or renting the land for my next one this year. As soon as I can buy and the weather permits I'll be slinging the mud! I'm even planning to buy straw bales for Halloween so I'll have them in the spring!

In the meantime, I'm thinking about attending a workshop. I just don't know if time and money will permit.

So, how well does your oven work? Any problems with spalling? That was a big concern for some folks. I'm less concerned about that - I want pizza!

Later!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post

So, how well does your oven work? Any problems with spalling? That was a big concern for some folks. I'm less concerned about that - I want pizza!

Later!
no problems, not even a bit! I've never seen spalling on any of the cob ovens that I've met. Is it just a theoretical concern or has it actually happened

good luck!

Last edited by Leah; 09-26-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Theoretical. I never saw a reason why it should be more prone to spalling - after all it's basically 'brick' that has been molded before firing. A really big brick, granted...

I'm glad yours is doing so well. I can hardly wait to get started!

Later!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Serf

Hi
Has any one suggested using the sludge at the bottom of a builders bucket!
My dad tough me to brick lay and I have built a few fire places with him. He is from the old school and is 73 now. Every time we were about to build a fire place he used to keep the sludge from the bottom of the water buckets. This was made up from cement, lime, plaster and all other things to mention. When it dried he would smashed it into small pieces and dust, this was then used to line the back and sides of the fire place and behind the bricks. When I asked him why he did it, he told me that the building sludge residue would seal the back, never burn and has thermal properties. Next time I see him I will pick his brain further to see if this was an old wife tail, a way of getting rid of the sludge or true