Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Mother Nature hates me and my hearth

Hey guys, I wanted to follow up on this. I FINALLY finished scraping, chiseling, and power washing my 230 used firebricks and I'm getting closer to starting my dome. I tried grinding down some of the high and uneven spots on my cantilevered edge and hearth surface. It didn't take me long to realize that it wouldn't be a good idea (at least for my skills). I decided to just level out the area underneath the ceramic board with fireclay/sand. I will come back later and tile over the rest of the concrete to "hide" any imperfections.

Can one of you tell me the correct ratio to make the fireclay/sand mixture for this and how to apply it/work with it? And it just needs to be done underneath the ceramic fiber boards, right? Thank you so much.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Journeyman

Hi Santino,

It is a 50/50 mix. Apply it dry or as a paste. Use a 1/4" notched trowel. Tap the bricks into place with a wood or rubber mallet. Try not to slide the bricks together since it will make the mix squish up between the joints. Place the brick above its resting place and lower it gently, then tap to align it.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Laborer

Looks good. Thanks to both of you! I'm hoping to get it right one way or another!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I tried grinding down some of the high and uneven spots on my cantilevered edge and hearth surface"

Grind enough so there is no ponding. Grind out shallow "channels" if necessary.

Water will get into your oven from time to time - plan for it. If there is any ponding on your structural slab you will have a difficult time getting and keeping the insulation layer dry.