Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Modular ovens and thermal mass

It's an enduring myth that the barrel vault oven is easier to build than a hemispherical dome. They are both big projects that involve a lot of heavy lifting: In retrospect, moving and lifting stuff was the hardest part. It's true that a fully-fitted, no mortar showing pompeii involves a lot of fussy fitting, but they work just as well if there are gaps between bricks.

You need to ask what you want to do with the oven. Even a thin wall modular oven will hold LOTS of heat, enough to bake a turkey for hours, a standard thickness pompeii, even more.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

The vent and transition from the barrel vault are very complicated and poorly documented with the Scott oven. It is worse than anything you have to do in the Pompeii oven. One of the reasons the barrel vault oven doesn't seem difficult is that there are few drawings or photos of that part of the oven. When I asked Alan about it, he laughed and said that it was an initiative test -- and that everyone did it differently. :-)

If you are looking to build an oven that doesn't require cutting bricks, you could build a barrel vault oven without a vent, and work your way around the smoke.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the info I would imagine the transition into the vent for either is not really all that well documented and is really something that is done differently on every build for both the barrell vault and pompeii or other home made igloo ovens.

But I am now leaning back to the igloo oven. Back to my other question is it possible to do the pompeii up to say the 4th or 5th chain and to finish the top off with a pre cast refractory cement hat that fits on top. I think there will be strength issues as there isnt the locking keystone brick but will ask the question anyway.

Thanks
ikhan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
The vent and transition from the barrel vault are very complicated and poorly documented with the Scott oven. It is worse than anything you have to do in the Pompeii oven. One of the reasons the barrel vault oven doesn't seem difficult is that there are few drawings or photos of that part of the oven. When I asked Alan about it, he laughed and said that it was an initiative test -- and that everyone did it differently. :-)

If you are looking to build an oven that doesn't require cutting bricks, you could build a barrel vault oven without a vent, and work your way around the smoke.

James
Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Laborer

Hi Ikhan42, not sure if this info helps but I and a few other friends built our entire ovens from castable refractory. I've attached some photos and have plenty more if you're interested.

Note - the sand mould was designed to hold up for 10 domes so a little extra effort went into making the mould but you needn't worry too much if you're only casting one dome. Once we got going we were casting an entire oven in less than two hours.

One oven is already being used to cook 2 minute pizzas and it works beautifully. The oven seems to take about 1.5 - 2 hrs although we haven't fired it enough times to have reliable data an that yet. We haven't got any doors either so I can't help you with how long it holds the heat for but in terms of thermal mass - there is around 420 kgs worth of castable (75mm thickness) plus the floor tiles so I expect to be able to cook anything that I need to for a typical back yard situation. Of course you can add another inch to give you greater heat holding capacity.

Cheers
Mr G
Attached Thumbnails
Modular ovens and thermal mass-dsc_6493.jpg   Modular ovens and thermal mass-dsc_6492.jpg   Modular ovens and thermal mass-dsc_6293.jpg   Modular ovens and thermal mass-dsc_1481.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Peasant

James,all due respect but the transition in both ovens remains the most mystical and least documented step and ,I suspect, likely a bit different in all builds. I have built both and while the forno bravo plans and forum contributions are clearly more helpful, that step remains a challenge according to almost almost all postings. Consider the "teardrop", dropping wall, metal vs. brick, arch or no, and other issues, we may do a disservice to new builders in suggesting that step is as easy as any other. Not so for me and a good deal of feelings one`s way can be expected. John
Old 11-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The barrel vault is a great baker's oven for daily fired bread ovens where there is no fire in the oven. They are less than ideal for pizza because of their configuration - not a lot of room for both fire and pizza. They are workable, but... not ideal.

I have a modular oven with an extra inch of mass and find it just about right for lots of purposes. My one mistake is that I put it on a Scott design barrel vault floor which means the hearth is too massive and cools off faster than it should unless I do an extended heat soak. Not ideal, but also workable - I just spread coals every half hour or so.

Good Luck!
Jay