#71  
Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 102
Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolaed View Post
It was definitely smoke coming from the seams as I saw tiny cracks.

Forgive my ignorance, but the firebrick needs a burn in time? The more you fire the brick the more it retains the heat?
Rolaed,
Do you intend to add cladding to the outside of the oven arch or will you leave it as is?

Polo
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: canton, MI USA
Posts: 31
Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Rolaed,
Do you intend to add cladding to the outside of the oven arch or will you leave it as is?

Polo
I plan to add vermiculite/portland cement mixute of 12:1 on top of the firebrick dome and then clad the enitre top. I am firing the oven now to get rid of moisture. I will send another picture when all done. Go Bucks(Even though I live in MI, I like OSU as I went to college in Ohio)
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: canton, MI USA
Posts: 31
Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Yep. The drier it is the better it works. There's a lot of residual moisture in a new oven and it's insulation, and ovens work better in the hot dry summer than in the cold damp winter around here.
Do you use your oven in the winters? Is the cold weather too much for the fires to overcome?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Les's Avatar
Les Les is offline
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 2,862
Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolaed View Post
Do you use your oven in the winters? Is the cold weather too much for the fires to overcome?
Absolutely not. There are posts (pictures) here with fire in the belly and snow on the roof. Personally, I'm kind of a fair weather guy. I have had snow falling on the pies before I slid them in, wasn't fun. There is no reason you can't use your oven when the dogs are clawing to get inside.

Les...
__________________
Check out my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 AM
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 102
Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolaed View Post
I plan to add vermiculite/portland cement mixute of 12:1 on top of the firebrick dome and then clad the enitre top. I am firing the oven now to get rid of moisture. I will send another picture when all done. Go Bucks(Even though I live in MI, I like OSU as I went to college in Ohio)
I am currently curing my oven as well. I went the more traditional "Alan Scott" route and cladded mine with 3+" of concrete for mass. After curing I will add insulation and enclose it. I built it mainly for bread.

I had to look at your location twice. I Live very near Canton too, but the one in Ohio. Go Bucks!, but you might want to keep that quiet as close as you are to Ann Arbor

Polo
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: canton, MI USA
Posts: 31
Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I am currently curing my oven as well. I went the more traditional "Alan Scott" route and cladded mine with 3+" of concrete for mass. After curing I will add insulation and enclose it. I built it mainly for bread.

I had to look at your location twice. I Live very near Canton too, but the one in Ohio. Go Bucks!, but you might want to keep that quiet as close as you are to Ann Arbor

Polo
What does Alan Scott recommend as far as cladding for the dome, vermiculite mixed with portland cement and then on top of that concrete? Sounds like you did the reverse, concrete and then insulation. What type of insulation you plan on using?

I have heard others using loose vermiculite as well.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: canton, MI USA
Posts: 31
Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Absolutely not. There are posts (pictures) here with fire in the belly and snow on the roof. Personally, I'm kind of a fair weather guy. I have had snow falling on the pies before I slid them in, wasn't fun. There is no reason you can't use your oven when the dogs are clawing to get inside.

Les...
Your outdoor kitchen looks awesome. Is your oven door custom built?

Also, what type of stone are your countertops?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 102
Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolaed View Post
What does Alan Scott recommend as far as cladding for the dome, vermiculite mixed with portland cement and then on top of that concrete? Sounds like you did the reverse, concrete and then insulation. What type of insulation you plan on using?

I have heard others using loose vermiculite as well.
The Ovencrafters plans call for a minimum of 2.5" of concrete cladding on the top of the barrel vault for mass, and then insulation on top of that. Many have varied this based on their planned usage for the oven. Adding the concrete adds a lot of thermal mass that is useful for retained heat cooking and baking, but it does require longer firing times and more fuel to attain suitable temperatures. It all depends what you are going to use the oven for.

I plan to insulate the outside of the cladding with an inch of 8# density kaowool blanket under 8 to 10 inches of loose vermiculite. I am enclosing my oven so the vermicrete won't be necessary.

How's the weather up there? We've got some snow this morning.

Polo
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: canton, MI USA
Posts: 31
Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
The Ovencrafters plans call for a minimum of 2.5" of concrete cladding on the top of the barrel vault for mass, and then insulation on top of that. Many have varied this based on their planned usage for the oven. Adding the concrete adds a lot of thermal mass that is useful for retained heat cooking and baking, but it does require longer firing times and more fuel to attain suitable temperatures. It all depends what you are going to use the oven for.

I plan to insulate the outside of the cladding with an inch of 8# density kaowool blanket under 8 to 10 inches of loose vermiculite. I am enclosing my oven so the vermicrete won't be necessary.

How's the weather up there? We've got some snow this morning.

Polo
Sounds like you are placing a lot of emphasis on insulation. It is the right thing to do. In my case, I just got done putting 4" wet vermiculite around the dome exterior. Waiting for it to dry. I also plan on having a NG burner inside the oven. Whenever I go to a Italian pizzeria restaurant, there is always a gas burner in back of the oven to keep things hot. Not sure if the burner is used to fire the oven. In my case I will use wood to fire it and the burner to keep things hot once the wood turns to ashes. Maybe in the hot days of summer the burner can fire the oven if I close the door. I will need to experiment.

The ashes are a mess!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vermiculite mrgweeto Tools, Tips and Techniques 2 07-02-2009 12:52 PM
Sorry - another Vermiculite Question thebadger Pompeii Oven Construction 21 01-19-2009 02:08 PM
Grade of vermiculite to use for render? pizzahead Getting Started 1 09-25-2008 07:57 PM
What is Vermiculite james Getting Started 8 07-09-2008 11:35 AM
Vermiculite...coarse or fine? DrakeRemoray Pompeii Oven Construction 1 04-24-2006 01:27 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC