Old 07-27-2010, 04:36 AM
Serf

Default Re: Medium vs Fine grade Vermiculite?

The only Vermiculite I can find is mixed w/ Perlite. Can I still use this in my Hearth?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"mixing the vermiculite with the concrete on top of that."

Absolutely not. Mix the vermiculite/perlite with cement not concrete.

"The only Vermiculite I can find is mixed w/ Perlite. "

That will work just fine. I mixed perlite and vermiculite for my dome insulation layer.

Last edited by Neil2; 07-27-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Laborer

I just realized that besides garden centers stores selling hydroponic supplies are excellent source of both vermiculite and perlite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Peasant

What is the ratio for the fireclay mortar used under the firebricks? 1:1 with sand. Anything else goes into the mix?

Is there another name for fireclay. Some of the material called out in this project is tough to come by!! When I call and ask about vermiculite, I get pauses as people never heard of it.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Laborer

mortar mix is 1 fireclay, 1 portland cement, 1 lime and 3 sand. Not sure if there is another name. Here in the uk i have found a supplier that sells it all CF Boards : Kiln Linings, Best Site for Kiln Maintainance and Repair Materials

You should be able to get vermiculite from a horticultural website, dont think many building merchants do it.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 AM

Fireclay is a standard masonry supply item in the US. You have to go to a brickyard: the big box stores don't carry it. If for some reason you can't get it there, a ceramics supplier will have it, as will the refractory dealer that will handle your board and blanket.

It's not a rare substance. Make some phone calls.

The leveling medium under the firebrick floor is one to one fireclay / sand. You can lay it dry, and wet the floor after you have it the way you want it, or mix it with water and use a notched trowel to apply it on top of the vermiculite concrete.

Vermiculite or perlite can be had from a wholesale garden supplier, or a pool builder. As aeu says, you can get it online if local suppliers fail.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Laborer

sorry, i thought you were talking about the high heat mortar
Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The insulation layer goes in between the supporting slab and the floor and between the inner dome and the outer render/stucco
Old 09-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry I just answered a question on p.1 of this thread.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Peasant

I have poured the foundation and this weekend will set in the cement blocks. From what I have read, it is advised to have a "floating base". I live in Michigan where we get plenty of snow and cold. I am thinking of running some 4x8x16 cement blocks under the cement base hearth for support. I do not feel too comfortable with the rebar supporting the weight of the entire oven and dome. Your thoughts are appreciated.

So after the cement blocks are laid, I will put a piece of plywood to pour the concrete into. Then ater that, teh vermiculite mix goes in.

Also, does the vermiculite/cement mix harden or does it stay spongy. My plan is to pour the cement base and the vermi/cement in one application. If the vermi-cement stays soft, doesnt the weight of the firebrick cause it to deflect and sink in? Maybe I am asking dumb questions but I would rather feel safe than sorry.