Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Joint finish ?

4" of what sort of cladding?

Have you a rough sketch of what you are aiming at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

4" extra thermal mass is a lot. It will take many hours for the heat to soak right through to that thickness. You would probably be better to halve the cladding thickness and increase the insulation.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
4" extra thermal mass is a lot. It will take many hours for the heat to soak right through to that thickness. You would probably be better to halve the cladding thickness and increase the insulation.
I agree with David, in Minnesota it gets even colder, and I spent more on insulation and it is no problem keeping my. Oven warm for days after one pizza evening, and bringing it from 400F on day 3 to 800 or more for another pizza night takes less than 30 minutes.

I cooked all last winter and plan the same this winter.

Chip
Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Peasant

Al , my plan was to use regular concrete .

David and Chip , my plan now was to have 4 inches of cladding and 7 inches of loose perlite held between the cavity the outside wall and the cladding made . I am pouring the hearth tomorrow out of perlcrete . It is formed up at 5 1/2 inches thick .
Old 10-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Im still lost as to your term "cladding", to me it is a covering outside of the insulation in which the oven lives.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Peasant

Al , my terminology may be wrong , thats the beauty of being a noob . What I am talking about is the concrete and wire mesh that is put on , on top of the foil thats on top of the outside of the brick oven .
Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
Al , my terminology may be wrong , thats the beauty of being a noob . What I am talking about is the concrete and wire mesh that is put on , on top of the foil thats on top of the outside of the brick oven .
I am also unclear, what book or reference are you using for your design? Do you have a drawing you could share? Few, if any of us use foil on top of the brick, directly on the brick is normaly insulation of some type. And a waterproof layer, stucco or house after that.

Your design may be sub standard compared to the way things are standard practice now.

Chip
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Your design may be sub standard compared to the way things are standard practice now.
I completely agree, do some more research on this forum before you commit to a build that may end up second rate.

See my barrel build for some ideas.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-13-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm pretty sure Jim means "cladding" as the extra thermal mass layer added over the top of the bricks before insulating. I also think the foil idea is bad, having learnt from the experience of trying it myself. It acts as a layer to trap moisture inside the oven and could have damaging consequences if that water suddenly turns to steam.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Peasant

David is correct , the extra thermal mass is what I am calling cladding . My 2 resources are this forum and "the bread builders" book