Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Italian oven out back Australia

Aussie Backyard

Went over to a mates place last week to catch up he lives in the bush and runs a mill cutting anything from rural fence post, palings, and posts rails, building timber and flooring.

He is off grid so the mill runs off a diesel generator producing enough power to run all of the mill, the loaders, elevators and cross cut saws.

He's not logging much anymore I tell him he's getting old and he says not as old as you though, we are good mates and there is always a bit of cheek going on and at the end of the day we always have a few coldies.
He doesnt employ anybody anymore its just him and his wife they work hard but enjoy the life, they breed a few horses Arabs and run a few sheep, their house is powered by solar but have gas for cooking and of course a wood heater.
His lovely wife had a lamb slow roast in the oven for dinner, my wife and I always enjoy their company.

While we were there we did a bit of cleaning up and started a fire to burn off some of the rubbish that he can't use, I was thinking of you fellas and thought most of you would love to have those hard wood off cuts that we were burning to put in your WFOs, seems like a bit of a waste but that is part of the production. Hes thinking of putting in a chipper to turn the waste into mulch and the sawdust into compost but it all takes time and money.

I took a couple of photos to show you fellas what it's like out here in the bush and some of the machinery.
Attached Thumbnails
Italian oven out back Australia-img_1220.jpg   Italian oven out back Australia-img_1184.jpg   Italian oven out back Australia-img_1193.jpg   Italian oven out back Australia-img_1180.jpg   Italian oven out back Australia-img_1191.jpg  

Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Peasant

And a few more,

WD
Attached Thumbnails
Italian oven out back Australia-img_1196.jpg   Italian oven out back Australia-img_1200.jpg   Italian oven out back Australia-img_1201.jpg   Italian oven out back Australia-img_1202.jpg   Italian oven out back Australia-img_1216.jpg  

Last edited by Wild Duck; 07-15-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duck View Post
I was thinking of you fellas and thought most of you would love to have those hard wood off cuts that we were burning to put in your WFOs,
Cant say Ive ever put a tyre in my oven?

Next youll be asking the cringe worthy question if any of y'all have tried vegimite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 AM
Master Builder

Some of those operations are pretty basic. I had a bit to do with the industry in the border ranges (Qld/NSW) and a couple of narrow scrapes because of the gear.

It would be good to have access to the offcuts we used to burn. Timber is much more valuable today and Workplace Health and Safety has changed the operations that get any scrutiny. Tough way to make a living though.

How is your oven building going?

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics