Old 09-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Serf

Default Re: Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen

I'm back,
Well it's been a month since I started really going on this project. I will be posting pics. soon since I have been taking them along the way. I am sure that I have made some mistakes along the way but, none this far that I can't fix. I poured the hearth at a thickness of 8" concrete and plan on layering the fiber board then the fire brick. Does anyone think that I could get away with not using the fiber board? I am also looking for posts on mortar recipes for the dome. Hopefully my next post/posts will include a lot of pictures from along the way.
Jason
Old 09-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirefd View Post
Does anyone think that I could get away with not using the fiber board?
Jason
I'm just wondering what is your intended use for the fiber board? (I am thinking "concrete fiber board", maybe I'm wrong) I don't think that it would work for either insulation or as extra thermal mass.
Whether or not you shoot for more mass, please put plenty of insulation under that brick floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Serf

Gulf,
I was actually referring to the fiber board that FB sells. I think it's 2" thick. I would use a thin mortar layer to adhere that to the concrete then another layer to set the fire brick on. So looking at the build there would be 8" thick then 2" of fiber board from forno bravo then 4.5" fire brick as the floor. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

FB board! Sorry my mistake.
But I understand your original question as, "Does anyone think that I could get away with not using the fiber board?" I think that "ceramic fiber board" is a great insulation. You will get a good deal on it from Forno Bravo since you live on the "left coast". I am referring to the cost of the product "plus" shipping. My recomendation is to use 2" of it for the minimum amount of insulation under the floor. Two inches of it, setting on 4" of vcrete: better.

PS: An 8" hearth slab may be a "little" overkill, but who am I to judge overkill . Also I don't think that you need to mortar your floor brick in place.

Last edited by Gulf; 09-29-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Serf

Gulf,
So you feel I should pour another 4" of vermiculite concrete on top of the 8" of structural concrete then the fiber board then the fire brick?
Jason
Old 09-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirefd View Post
Gulf,
So you feel I should pour another 4" of vermiculite concrete on top of the 8" of structural concrete then the fiber board then the fire brick?
Jason
The extra thickness of the hearth means nothing to the performance of your oven. You are going with 4 and a half inches of fire brick which suggests that you are interested in thermal mass to preserve heat for multiple cooks. More insulation will benefit you there. It does not have to be 4" of vcrete. It can be 2 more inches of FB board or CalCil. Each are equal to 4" of vcrete. I will go back to what I origionally thought your question was. "Does anyone think that I could get away with not using the fiber board?" At the very least use the FB board or some form of insulation under the oven.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Serf

Gulf,
You are a huge help. I think I will add 3.5" of vermiculite concrete( 2x4 deep) then the 2" fiber board then the brick. That should be plenty of insulation. The vermiculite concrete mix should be a 5 parts vermiculite to 1 part cement right?
Jason
Old 09-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Serf

Here is a quick picture of the kitchen.
Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen-image.jpg
Old 09-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great looking start on the kitchen and beautiful location. I am a little on the jealous side . 5-1 for vcrete is correct for under the oven. I don't think that you will regret the extra oven floor height.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Master Builder

Nice looking set-up. Love Santa Cruz! Definitely put 4" of insulation under the firebrick.