Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Igloo style oven

I think the rule is 3" FB Blanket or 1" FB Blanket plus 4" vermiculite concrete. The blanket is roughly twice as efficient as insulating concrete.

For a commercial oven in use 24/7, or for an oven that you want to use outside in extreme weather, you might want to go to 4" of FB Blanket on the sides and 6" on top.

With these thicknesses of insulation, your outer enclosure won't get hot at all.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

One more thing. You always have to build an enclosure of some sort to hold in the insulation, even if the oven is indoors. You don't want to leave either FB Blanket or vermiculite exposed to the air. At a minimum, you can follow the shape of the oven with stucco lath and apply a basic stucco coat.
James

Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Peasant

James,

so 3" FB Blanket should take care of the insulation part.

I was confused by the page 56, photo 13.3, FB blanket covered with wire and insulating concrete. That photo is probably showing a combination of both insulation.

So this 3" FB Blanket only needs to be covered with stucco lath and a basic stucco coat?

This is a great forum, many thanks to everyone who's helping me out.

Marc
Old 03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Marc

Where in Canada are you ?

I think the only cold related issue you have to specifically address is frost heaving in frost susceptible soils. If you have granular soils, just build a slab.

I have an Igloo style with no enclosure and I just cover it with a tarp in the winter.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Peasant

Neil

we are in NewBrunswick.

i still haven't excavated the area where i am making this extension 14'x26', but i know there is top soil to be removed, then add new dry compactable material. The floor slab will be 4" thk with 8"thk x16" perimeter, arround the stand (rectangular shape) it will increase to 10" thk x 24" wide (wtih rebar to match). Once the slab is poured and cured, then i am pouring the stand (8" wide wall), not using block. 3 sides of the stand will have arch opening, the back of the stand will be full wall. The forms made of 3/4' plywood, arches forms laminated and rolled (2) 1/4" plywood. This stand will be designed with rebar and tie with the hearth re-bar. The slab for the hearth will be
8" thk x 3" at perimeter with a recess area for pouring the 4" insulation concrete. I will be providing drawings i the near future. Did found fire bricks @ $2.00/brick not used but little dirty.

P.S. Did anyone purchase a masonry saw and able to give me the brand and what they paid for?

Any comments, anyone?

Marc
Old 03-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Laborer

Mark

I really like the sound of your stand and look forward to seeing your drawings.

All the best with your build

Terry (C.F)

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
P.S. Did anyone purchase a masonry saw and able to give me the brand and what they paid for?
A lot of us here in the US have used a Chinese import sold by harbor freight: I don't know if they, or an equivalent is in Canada.

If you do deal with Harbor freight, that saw is often on sale, or subject to discount coupon.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Marc. Your design looks pretty robust.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

+1 on the Harbor Freight tile/brick saw. It has been a fabulous tool for me. I had a brief scare when the "key" on the primary spindle popped out and oweing to my own ignorance of the subject I thought the saw was lost, but I just popped the key back in and it has been solid ever since...okay, long version of that story is the key wouldn't stay in, kept popping out, so I superglued it in!...but the saw works great.

I realize HF isn't in Canada, but is it impossible to mail-order from them? I really don't know.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Peasant

Did anyone poured the stand and the hearth slab all in 1 shot, trying to see if this is feasible and if it is recomanded to do or not??

Again thank to everyone,

Marc