Old 03-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Default Re: How many bricks?

Hey, that's great! I love your stone shed reuse!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Serf

So, the next thing I need to do is buy a load of refractory materials. As it's a fair trek over to the suppliers I'd really like to get everything I need in one go.

Besides the bricks, what other refractory materials will I need and in what quantities? What do I require for the insulating layer below the hearth bricks and for the dome? Do I need refractory cement to mortar the dome bricks and how much? I've heard that a layer of fireclay should be used to bed the hearth bricks - how much will I need? Is there anything else that I've missed?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 AM

Under the floor you need one of two things: a four inch layer of vermiculite (or perlite) concrete, or a two inch layer of refractory insulation board. The insulating concrete leaves a rough surface, and you need a layer to level it, which is a mix of fireclay and sand. You need only enough to level the surface. If you go with the insulating board, it's mostly flat enough to lay the bricks directly down on it without mortar or leveling layer.

As far as mortar, your choice is a commercial dry refractory mortar mix (I don't know what your brands are in the UK). We are warned off the premixed wet stuff in tubs. It's a bit pricey. You can also make your own mortar with sand, fireclay, portland, and lime.

Your dome insulation can be a refractory mineral wool blanket or insulating concrete, or a mixture or the two. Since you are building in a closed building, you could also fill the cavity with loose vermiculite, but be warned, the stuff has a tendency to leak out of the smallest opening. You can create dams in the corners with cement board to reduce the amount of insulation needed. In that enclosed space my guess is that you are going to run out of room to work really quickly.

The only thing you need is to think about your flue, but that's more of a brickyard item than a refractory dealer one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Serf

Thanks dmun, that's answered a load of questions. One thing - what ratio should I mix the perlite/vermiculite concrete? Does the p/v just replace the ballast in the mix? Similarly, if I use the lime/sand/portland mortar (I am a cheapskate), what ratios would be used there?

Last edited by username; 03-28-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:33 AM

I'm off to do something right now, but you might benefit from downloading the pompeii instructions, which covers these things.

Quickly, yes, the vermiculite is the aggregate in the vermiculite concrete. I never used the home brew mortar, so I couldn't give you the ratios without looking it up.

This might be the link:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/h...rimer-914.html (High Heat Mortar Primer)
Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Serf

Thanks again dmun.