Old 01-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Laborer

Default Re: How cheaply can an oven be built?

HI and thanks for the offer Dave.
I'll see how I am going.
Still undercided on the oven type. I have made the base big enough to allow me to build 1m ish ID and that will allow me room to put hot trays etc on the side.
I am trying to get the base ready before the hand op on the 10 Feb.
After that the boss at home will ground me from doing any pizza oven work, and I might not feel to keen for a while I guess.

Did you ever find out any more on the cast in place oven you said you know of in Bris?
I am still leaning towards going that way. just not getting much help from the people who sell the materials. Seems all they know is foundry work and not ovens.

All my spare time is going to be devoted to this....
need good pizza
ROb
Old 06-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Serf

Default Re: How cheaply can an oven be built?

I working on a rather tiny 450^2" hearth stove for $100 materials plus donated labor. It will be a clay/sand barrel vault 18" wide (Experimental is my first name). Materials that cost money include sack mix, perlite, portland, and firebricks. Everything else is scrounged, including a pinkboard thermal break. Why isn't this common as it's good to at least 150F and can easily withstand the psi? I've only measured <100F on the top of a perlite/clay dome w/36" hearth I built earlier. Cheap insulation and some sort of economical hearth is the key to building a low cost WFO. This obviously doesn't include all the incidental costs like a place to form dough, keep the buffaloes out of your mozzarella, etc.

This is a great thread as I think good food should associate with good people and not just "rich" people.