Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How cheaply can an oven be built?

Dear Rob
sorry to hear about your hand hope things turn out
Re gas bottles...like you say the BBQ is more likely to cause the ignition of the bottles than the WFO. The WFO oven is insulated so there is hardly any radiant heat except at the entrance.... cuddle the side of my oven in winter and all you'll get is colder. With gas bottles there designed if heated not to explode but vent the expanding gas through the top. Of course it could catch fire but the venting gas would just burn off. The firyies would just play a hose on a burning bottle to cool it till the gas run out.

Regards Dave
Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Laborer

Thanks Dave
The hand will come good, appointment to see doc this week and opp a few weeks later.
Just going to slow me down some,,,,

The gas cylinder concern was made by a well meaning friend who pointed out the gas bottle and location for the wfo. The bbq's we all have been using for decades have the cylinder very close to the flame so I am thinking 10m of open space is nothing to worry about.
The odd check on the cylinders for leaks and I will sleep well at night.
Still got to get the final oven design sorted and get the muddy hole looking like a slab

Rob
Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rob
I have a friend's bro who has cast on oven over a sand form with ciment fondue crusher dust and fireclay. I have only third hand info and a coupla photos sent to me MMS. Basically from what I understand he has a vermicule/cement hearth insulation,firebrick hearth and the ovens to have 2 in ceramic blanket insulation over the dome and vermicule/cement over that.
I hope to see the oven one day as its in brisbane
How cheaply can an oven be built?-ross-bro-oven-11.jpg How cheaply can an oven be built?-ross-bro-oven.jpg

Perhaps someone has a comment on this?

Regards Dave
Old 10-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Laborer

Hey thanks for the pics Dave, that's what I am learning towards. Not sure weather to go down the home brew mix (will be cheaper) or just use bags of castable that I have been quoted $30 a pop for.
I like the idea of just building a mould of sand on my fire brick base and going from there. I need to looking into homebrew hi-temp some more.
I know I can get fireclay locally so it's going to be easy enough to do....
Be great to find out how the oven above is going and if it's cracked, got and SS needles etc in it???
Thanks for the help
Rob
Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Rob
Check out a thread Called "brickless dome on a shoestring oven" in the "other oven types" section of the forum. you might find it interesting.
Regards Dave
Old 10-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Serf

What Clay sand ratio did you do ?

How thick did you make the cob dome ?

I am building my mold today and ran out of good sand.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear lakelover
Sorry hav'ny had experience with clay domes but of course I researched a bit.
Clay sand ratio...sorry dont know but check out the other ovens section in the forum you going to need hay or chopped up natural fiber rope in the mix.
Run out of sand...start the sand mound with an upturned foam box and include bottles around this to takes up space and make it easy when you remove the sand mould. dome thickness is 3 to 4 in thick I believe.
You going to have to do more research ...I seem to remember that with clay domes the sand is removed straight away and very small drying fires are started to prevent the dome cracking as it drys.

Hope this helps
RegardsDave
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 AM
Laborer

Well 2 years of reading and dreaming, and 4 months after I broke ground things are happening !
I had a hand/ wrist opperation back in November and that slowed me down a lot. I got the footing dug and boxed up, then the Ganglion in my wrist decided to give me hell. So op and lots of rain and the boxing fell apart. A month a go boxing redone and slab poured !
A week ago block work dry stacked and on Sunday the blockwork filled. Things are finally going some where.
I have a little over 2 weeks before hand op number 2 !!!
That will stop me again......

I am looking at getting the top poured this weekend and then on to the oven build !!!!

Still undecided, full fire brick build up or sand mould cast in place refractory ????
I went to price fire brick, refractory cement etc and asked about SS needles and got a blank look. Are they required in a cast in place oven?
I have been looking a precast dome kits and there is no info if they are used or not. I am also trying to find sound info on the best ways to cast, all in one piece, dome and entry / flue area seperate etc????
Are any of the affordable precast kits anygood. I am thinking that way again as hand op number 2 is a little more invasive and more time off the tools then last time...
Has anyone build from any of the kits available here in OZ?

I will post pics soon
Rob
Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Laborer

Drystacked ready to be final checked and reho-ed and filled.
I did not know untill after buying new and old blocks that they are not all quite the same size, oh well render will cover all sins as will the tile/pavers on the floor !
Attached Thumbnails
How cheaply can an oven be built?-drystacked-mockup2.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Things are looking good your making progress. Sorry to hear about the hand....I'd offer to give a hand but I'm down to one usefull one at the moment as I damaged the left before Xmas. Yep your in the right city we have the top hand surgeons in Aust.
The offers there though the hands coming good and I'm coping ...so when your healed and ready drop me a private message if you like

Regards Dave