Old 09-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How cheaply can an oven be built?

hi
I have built a firebrick 1 mtr firebrick and ceramic insulated forno type oven for $1200 in brisbane. Now thats all up ...render, paint, slab in front, table, tools etc as well Biggest cost was the bricks 175 at $3.30 and the insulation at $160. If you go the common brick with firebrick hearth and pearlite insulation path you would be saving heaps. splading bricks ? there are a few out there that have made there ovens that way. Not many advertise that fact and no one has reported splading. I would go that path rather than a clay shell. Seems you can't waterproof a clay shell without putting overhead cover which is more expense in time and materials.
You can save money a number of ways, first of course is recycling. My stand was mostly recyled....swaped 200 non matching house bricks ( which I'dd been given) for 30 hebel block. Made my own concrete in a borrowed mixer. didn't buy a bricksaw...cut the bricks with bulster and angle grinder. Saves on the amount of bricks required if you don't cut every angle too 160 instead of 200 for a 1 mtr dome. All the bricks on the outside of the oven dome are not firebrick. Check out Dinmore bricks at Ipswich they oftern have bricks on special they also sell fireclay and firebrick.
The main thing was I only did things as got them..some recylced some brought so the cost was spread out over at least 6 to 8 months so it doesn't seem so bad. My build in the aust section by the way

Good luck in whichever path you follow the important thing is that you enjoy the journey......Dave
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Laborer

HI
Thanks for the advice guy's
I can see the base being as expensive as the oven to do nicely.
I want this to be a feature of the yard so cost is becoming less important and function and looks is getting higher.
Looking at clay makes it seem a little too cheap . cast kit , easy but $$, .
If a brick oven can be done with out making a milion accurate cuts then thats the way to go. I have been thinking of casting the base in concrete and steel?
Maybe cheaper and I plan on rendering the base ..
Lots to take in.
Thanks
Rob

Last edited by robertjusher; 09-22-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave,
Quote "splading bricks ?"

What are splading bricks?
I thought a splade was a cross between a spoon and a blade.

Last edited by david s; 09-22-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Laborer

HI
My understanding of splading bricks is where the bricks have bits chip off due to the heat.
Not really sure how this would happen in a pizza oven where the temps should never get as high as the fireing temp when the bricks were made, but I am no expert...
Rob
Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No, that is called "spalling". It can occur from thermal shock at high temps or through water intrusion, freezing and expansion stress.Bricks for external use must be made to have a low porosity to prevent this. Firebricks however, are quite porous and presumably could suffer from water freezing spalling even though they can handle the high temps. As our lowest temp. is in the region of 8 C we never get close to freezing. Has anyone had problems with their fire bricks being exposed to the weather in cold climates?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Serf

I have an almost completed [indoor] 36" that is still under US $500. It has a [mostly] clay dome with a single ring of firebrick at the bottom for durability against fuel and tools. I would say that a clay dome is probably trickier than firebrick in terms of longevity unless you know a lot about your local clay. This is my second clay dome WFO so most of the mistakes have been made. Do a prototype if you try a clay dome. Another cost saving measure in my case is because of space restrictions (it's inside a lowish part of a greenhouse) the hearth is only ~20" off the ground and pit in front corrects for hearth height. I have ~8" of perlcrete on top of a 4" slab and used ~10" of perlite in a light clay slip over the dome and am covering that with a thin cob shell.

My first choice would have been a firebrick Pompeii but I don't have enough electrical resources to run a brick saw and don't want to modify my lifestyle enough to do so. My second choice would have been cast refractory dome and even though I live practically next door to where castable and firebricks are made I can't actually buy castable closer than 300 miles away and would have to pay ~$2/lb. in total to have it shipped.

I'm still pushing the 40+ gallons of water out of the dome insulation but have already done pizza at 800+F hearth and dome temps. Dome has gone over 1000F on my non-contact thermometer. Since the dome contains silica it theoretically could spall at 1600F but even the most intense fires (osage!!!) in the first WFO didn't do this. I am also doing some interesting things to capture and control heat from the exhaust flue, hopefully providing heat in the winter and running a large dehydrator in the summer.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Serf

Robert, If you're looking for a cost-effective way to build one, I just completed a 27" round oven with firebricks for the hearth for about $200. The firebrick came from a manufacturer here in Georgia and was about $80 for 5 x 3" thick 15" x 15" pavers, so I had fewer seems. It was a lot of work for just one person, but I used Kiko Denzer's cob method for the rest of the oven. The base was built from old broken concrete; then I poured a slab with quikcrete and rebar for the base of the oven. I could have left the base filled, but I wanted a place to store firewood and some tools. Dirt with high clay content is easily found in my yard; and wood shavings are usually free from any workshop.
Don't get me wrong though; cheap is relative . . . I did throw out my back as a result of moving all the concrete blocks. My recommendation would be to enlist some help, or pick an easier material for the base.

All in all though, the oven performs very well so far (it's been only about 2 months). I can get it over 1000 in a little over an hour, and it retains decent heat for about 2 days.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Laborer

Thanks again.
I am going to go the fire brick dome and do it right the first time I think. Going to take a lot longer and cost more but I think it will be worth it in ht elong run.
Hopeing to break ground this weekend. I need to sort out dome local dranage issues first to have somewhere to build.
I will keep you all informed
Rob
Old 09-23-2011, 03:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

DavidS
......Still can't spell for shit.....thats whey I spend my days hitting shoes with hammers. Interesting point about the bricks....is there something different in both the brick and climate that make building a "common brick" oven in Aust more successfull??????

Regards Dave

Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-23-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Laborer

So , are we better using a simple clay brick for the dome, or is a fire brick still the best answer ???
In the ye olde days, the ovens were clay/ earth etc and firebricks not invented,,,
so is fire brick required ???