Old 07-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Serf

Default Re: Hope I've found this forum in time!

Thanks Mel,

The footprint width of my slab would mean a pretty small pompeii oven, what are the disadvantages with an arch type v's pompeii? Also living in Wales, UK, I get a fair bit of rain to say the least, my idea was to build up the sides of the arch type oven once complete and infill with lots of vermiculite, then cap it off and roof it.

Many thanks

Geoff
Old 07-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Serf

That what I did with my oven, it works fine and holds heat for ages, the most pizza I have produced in one evening is 28 over 2 hours.

Regards

Mel
Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
what are the disadvantages with an arch type v's pompeii?
I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

As to the size of the slab, you can always cantelever the support slab over any base it's sitting on.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

As to the size of the slab, you can always cantelever the support slab over any base it's sitting on.
I just mean't that the Pompeii oven is round and therfore has a large diameter whereas the arch type (tunnel type etc) seems to be a better fit for me on the slab I have built. Hopefully by insulating well It will work as good as the Pompeii. If I built the Pompeii, from my reckoning, I would have less room at the side of my slab and wasted room at the back (this only because I have made it for the arch/tunnel type)

Thanks for reply

Geoff
Old 07-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Serf

I double posted for some reason so have deleted

Last edited by labman; 07-05-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: double post, don't know why?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvynhoare View Post
That what I did with my oven, it works fine and holds heat for ages, the most pizza I have produced in one evening is 28 over 2 hours.

Regards

Mel
Hi Mel,

I'm hoping I'll have the same luck! Oops - planned result! 28 pizza's in 2 hours sound great to me, reckon I can only manage 2 though at a push! Did you use loose vermiculite on top of the finished (bricked up obviously) oven ie after the foil and cement/vermiculite oven covering? and how did you cap the top off? I want to put a roof over my and was concerned with the heat and wooden roof?

Thanks for reply

Geoff
Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I want to put a roof over my and was concerned with the heat and wooden roof?
If your oven is well insulated there should be no appreciable heat nearing the 450 needed to char wood. If you're concerned, you can build your roof/sheething with metal studs and cement board.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Serf

Hi Dave,

I just checked out your build and I'm amazed! You must and should be so proud.

From what you say, I should be ok to build the oven, build up the outer sides above the dome, which doesn't touch the oven, fill with loose vermiculite and cap it off with fire board, then construct my roof? Is my thinking correct?

Cheers

Geoff
Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Peasant

Hi Geoff.
I live in Cardiff, so not far from you?
My base was designed for barrel oven, but when I found this forum, decided to go for a pompeii, I;ll send you some pics on PM - may be of help?

Nb... general consensus here is not to bother with foil, as it retains moisture...

regards
Jon
Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Geoff,

Yes, your thinking is correct. Take a few minutes and you'll see the construction sequences of builders on this site who wrapped their finished domes with refractory blanket, then covered the blanket with vermicrete. The loose vermiculite is finally used as a void fill between the vermicrete and your cement board walls.