Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Help! Losing heat like water out of a tap

Dear Rodways,
I am with Chris. If your internal dome height is 24 inches you should have a entryway height of 15". This gives you some space to either put the insulation board right on top of your cooking floor then another layer of bricks for the cooking floor and have the correct entry height. Then use ceramic blanket on the outside, 3" with a covering of stucco.

Or you could follow Neil's advice and have the satisfaction that we all have of having done it yourself and correctly. The actual dome building part is fun and many people on this site who had no previous masonry experience have built ovens- myself included.
The oven will perform some better as moisture is cooked out of it, but without insulation the firebricks just radiate heat out to the atmosphere instead of back down onto your pizza. When I was curing my oven before the insulation was on the dome got as hot as 500 degrees on the outside, now it is about 10 degrees above ambient with a full fire going.

Good luck,
Eric
Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Serf

I found this on youtube, they may be able to build you a new oven, as they are in the Uk.

YouTube - Bello Forno Wood burning Pizza Oven
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Serf

Thumbs up Re: Help! Losing heat like water out of a tap

Many thanks to you all, I am sure that I can do somthing as we have the space within the buildHelp! Losing heat like water out of a tap-dsc01066.jpg

Help! Losing heat like water out of a tap-dsc01064.jpg

Help! Losing heat like water out of a tap-dsc01062.jpg
I have attached some photo's Will up date you with what I had done and the outcome. Once again many thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

From what I can see from the pictures it looks like a barrel type oven. This shouldn't change your ability to get some insulation under the existing floor or sandwitched in between the existing and a new higher oven floor. Getting insulation on the outside of the oven won't be to much trouble but water proofing will take a bit of thinking at the chimney end. You folks get a bit rain over there as I understand.

Chris
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Serf

Hi
We sure do! I think I will put a mushroom type cover over the chimney I think will help reduce the rain that would come down and also give the required ventilation.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Serf

The approach I will be adopting to recto fit the missing installation is:-
Base
o Insulation Brick 28GD - 230 x 114 x 25mm
o Firebricks 42GD - 230 x 114 x 52mm
These will be laid on top of the existing base of 72mm fire bricks & concrete base
Barrel
o CF Blanket 1260GD - 50mm (Density 96kg)
o Vermiculite render 7 : 1 mix
The blanket will become compressed; however I believe that it would help the overall insulation values. The blanket will be fixed in place and chicken wire over the top to help with stability & the vermiculite render adhering. The only dilemma I have at the moment is whether to add a sharp sand to the mix say a mix of 7:3:1 or apply the vermiculite render and then top with a traditional render mix? Any thoughts any one?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't add sand to the vermiculite/portland mix. It won't insulate, and that's what you're after.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The addition of sand will reduce the insulation value, but it will make the mix stronger. Just depends what you are trying to achieve.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Serf

Hi All,
Well! What can I say, I retro fitted the installation as I describe in an early posting and WOW, the over works like a dream, we had a pizza party on Saturday we had around a 20 people and we eat pizzas all night long, they tool about 1.5mins to 2mins Calazoni was also fabulous which only 3 / 4 mins. Thank you all for your advice, we could not have done it without you guys, many thanks.....
PS, glad I did not listen to one which told me to knock it down and start again..
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very good to hear that a good time was had by all. Congrats!!

Chris