Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Serf

Default Re: Help deciding

Yeah, 50'! 100 foot circle of non combustibles. Everyone lives on 2 acres, right? Absurd! I bought a pool heater. Called my propane company for a tank. NO PROBLEM! Then they asked where I lived. Oh - well I can tell you where you CAN't put it!! about 10 feet from from anything combustible or any source of spark. Never installed it. Do not want a tank in the middle of my yard.

About the oven - I have smokers - I guess that is illegal too! - and things for larger items so it may be some chicken, but mostly pizza and breads. I am calling about the thickness of the refractory innards. You set that dome, put up front and side walls, then fill it with Vermiculite and put on the roof. $1300 picked up. Base like I saw here made of PT wood about $100. I have a LOT left from building my desk last year. 6x6 legs, 2x6 side bracing, 5/4 on the shelf I figure. Mostly spend it on cement top and perhaps casters.

Actually, newer model of the Portugal ovens either have NO chimney OR a chimney in the doorway and not in the oven. I have called a couple of local FB places and the Giardino 70 will go $1900. Then the outer coating and work associated with it. GREAT stove no doubt. I have seen the ones with the chimney sticking out of the center... Agree not a good idea.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Laborer

If you get the Roundboy oven and want to build a wood stand, you will need to invest in FB Board, or an equivalent for the hearth. You need that for insulation. The roundboy oven's skimp on insulation and a lot of heat is lost out of the bottom. - I think that adds more cost- Are we getting closer to the Giardino 70 yet?

Have you tried calling Fred's Music and BBQ for the oven? He gave me a good price if I could have it shipped to a commercial location.

My oven will be cooking in a month, if you want to trek over here to see it before you commit to a roundboy your welcome to come over.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Serf

Was at Fred's last year to buy a Digi Q. Great little device. Already called them. Good people.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Serf

Well, got the Roundboy. And then it rained here in PA. And rained. Fired it up for real on Labor Day weekend. Made dough the night before and cooked up a little Linguista - a Portuguese sausage like chorizo. My kid worked in a pizzeria some 20 years ago for 2 months. Started banging out nice 10 - 11" pies - marargita, pesto and ricotta, linguista and mushroms and onions and a Avocado and pepper jack for the heck of it that was very good. The stove fired up nicely and held its heat well - tossing in a hunk of wood maybe every 20 minutes. Given the price and labor - 3 hours - and performance, I am pleased. The metal stand was well worth the money.

Oven was still warm the next day. Not important to me but decent at holding heat, considering I did not build a monster base. Going to put a little Roxul rock wool insulation batts under the base at the top of the stand (cause I have it) but seems fine as it. Going to do more this weekend and some pretzels and focaccia. Owners Harry and Karl very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Help deciding-carl_pizzaiolaa.jpg  

Last edited by djm3801; 09-16-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Serf

Hi Guys,
I am a Forno Bravo 'lurker' in the same scenario... not sure what to choose, and on a somewhat limited budget. I have base built, and hearth deck formed & soon to be poured. I just can't decide on what oven to purchase(don't have the time to build a brick oven like I had hoped). In my research i found a guy importing what he calls a 'Volta 100', made buy a company in Italy called "Sunday", part of the MCZ group. Looks to be VERY SIMILAR to the Casa2G from Forno Bravo. So, i'm trying to decide the following:

Casa2G 100, 40" - $2400 plus ~$700 for crating/shipping = $3100

Volta 100, 39.3" - $1600 plus ~$200 for shipping = $1800

The Volta cast oven does not include any insulation package, so that is probably about $300 difference. I had planned to just go the vermicrete & loose fill vermiculite route for a fraction of the cost, so not sure if this can truly be considered a true difference.

Even with the insulation package, it looks like it will cost me an additional $1000 to go the Forno Bravo route(granted, ~$500 is shipping/crating difference).

The Volta product looks nice, however I can't find much information on it, besides what is on his website(and bits and pieces on European websites). Says it is casted from ALUTEC®... but I can't find any information on that brand on the web after a quick search. Kinda alarms me a bit. However, documentation for the product looks good. Just not sure if I should risk it....

Thanks in advance for your help/thoughts!
Andre
Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Laborer

Good find on the Volta, I definitely saw some of their work in peoples back-yards in Italy.

I love the Tuscan grilles, and wish Forno Bravo would make some that are similar.

If you get one, let us know how well it works. I bet they are quality ovens. I always felt FB shipping was way over the top. I just bought a new 36 inch kitchen range and it was free shipping. I really don't think that it was much heavier than the Giardino oven was, and the package was a lot bigger.