Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Heat Drops fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
The ovens wet.
...damn!Curing fires are so boring...
Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
It sounds like the cause of your issue is the 30 cm of vermicrete under the floor, which is probably still wet. As the base of the dome and the insulation under the floor are the hardest to dry out, try spreading the fire to the base of the dome and just keep feeding it all day if possible. If it's wet down there you will probably notice a persistent ring of black soot which is also an indicator that the oven is still wet there.
If you are trying dry the oven leave the door off and the coals in.
I will try your advice my friend, thank you for your help.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
...damn!Curing fires are so boring...
Then, cook something while you're curing!
brickie in oz and cobblerdave like this.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

excuse me dimitri you used red clay bricks for dome , is that not going to spall in high heat

I was under the impression that red clay bricks spall under high heat, I told someone this and they said no they will not can someone explain? plus he is using bricklayer's mortar, which is portland sand lime mix could this work?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Then, cook something while you're curing!
I have a problem retaining the heat to cooking temps because of hydration.
Untill all moister is out i just look the oven as a fireplace!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVANO View Post
excuse me dimitri you used red clay bricks for dome , is that not going to spall in high heat

I was under the impression that red clay bricks spall under high heat, I told someone this and they said no they will not can someone explain? plus he is using bricklayer's mortar, which is portland sand lime mix could this work?
Gudday
Good quality pressed clay commons and pavers are suitable for WFO there's a lot out there particularly in aust. If you cant find firebrick or its unaffordable they are the next choice.
With the mortar mix the Portland cement tends to fail at over 300C but serves the purpose of Holding the mix together at the start. The lime sets over time with the heat and provides the long term higher heat "glue" in the mix.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVANO View Post
I was under the impression that red clay bricks spall under high heat, I told someone this and they said no they will not can someone explain? plus he is using bricklayer's mortar, which is Portland sand lime mix could this work?
When you say high heat, what temps do you think the oven will get, assuming that you will make good use of fuel, and in what temps pure clay is kilned?
Of course the bricks are solid without holes and without concrete addition.
Here in Greece we have 130 years old oven that was built with red clay roof tiles and clay mortar or lime with sand.
After a successfully build Cob Oven(that is clay and sand) with at least 300 fires that some times reached 500 c and no spall at all, i was convinced that there will be no problem with plain red clay bricks for the dome of the oven.
Of course i have used firebricks on the hearth only because are more durable than red clay bricks.
Using bricklayers mortar is not so weird to me because concrete mortars in wood oven suffer from high heat only on the face of the mortar that looks directly to the fire.
I have used the poor man's refractory mortar 3 fine sand, 2 lime putty, 1 Portland cement and 1 clay and so far i haven seen and problem.
Keep in mind that the price of the red clay bricks is the 1/7th of the firebrick.
I have bought 0,20 a piece and the same dimensions firebricks costs 1,5 euro.
The downside is the low thermal mass, dense firebricks keeps for longer the heat but until now, without fully cured oven and two firing's in two days, the third day and after 12 hours with the coals removed and the door shut, the oven is at 150 c!
So i thing we're good!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I have a problem retaining the heat to cooking temps because of hydration.
Untill all moister is out i just look the oven as a fireplace!!!
So steam something in it.....

Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
When you say high heat, what temps do you think the oven will get, assuming that you will make good use of fuel, and in what temps pure clay is kilned?
I get my oven to at about 600c prior to a pizza night, Ive had it to 800c, clay bricks are fired to about 1200c, so clay bricks are good for ovens.

Ive laid some dry pressed red clay bricks that weight 4kgs each so density shouldnt be a problem.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-18-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
So steam something in it.....
Hahahaha...steam bath time!
david s likes this.

Tags
curing oven, heating problems, temp problem