Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Heat Drops fast!

Oops, sorry m8 brickie in oz is right!
Exept if we misudenrstude something.
You could build an inner layer to your walls and floor with firebricks, its a hard way and you will reduce the size of your oven but the other way is to start all over.[/QUOTE]

sorry, I forgot to say that on the floor of the oven in the middle are some very special high density bricks that act as a heat sink. \

I agree entirely with your thoughts and they make sense, however the oven works fine and the perlite bricks were so easy to cut.

I could always throw some railway irons into the base if it became a problem with heat storage?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaker View Post
sorry, I forgot to say that on the floor of the oven in the middle are some very special high density bricks that act as a heat sink.
I agree entirely with your thoughts and they make sense, however the oven works fine and the perlite bricks were so easy to cut.
I could always throw some railway irons into the base if it became a problem with heat storage?
If this works for you is ok m8!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
sorry, I forgot to say that on the floor of the oven in the middle are some very special high density bricks that act as a heat sink.
Not that special if the oven doesnt retain heat for any time.
An oven should retain heat for a week.

Quote:
Good functional ovens are hard work to build, theres a trade off here.

Quote:
Scrap iron pizza?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Apprentice

Ok, new data about the temp drop!
Today i did the Second burning with the insulation and render layer on, I previously burned the oven one more time without the insulation and the render.
After the soot have gone I've added some wood, total burning time 2 hours approximately.
After removing the coals i placed my door,the door temp stopped rising at 226 C, the outside of the dome wasn't even warm at touch.
After an hour passed with door closed the temp dropped dramatically to 165 c, and the oven was slightly warm at some spots on the top of the dome.
I have an internal oven thermometer that showed 260 c but the Mississippi count go beyond 10 so i guess the door thermometer was right.
Please give me your thoughs!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you had used dense firebrick for your floor and dome, after a two hour burn the oven temperature would be in the region of 400 C
Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
If you had used dense firebrick for your floor and dome, after a two hour burn the oven temperature would be in the region of 400 C
What do you mean if?
I'm not the guy with insulation firebricks m8
I have build my dome with solid red clay bricks and floor with firebricks.
At firing the temps rise up to 500 c, perhaps moister is still there and I have to be quicker with the coals racking out...
When is the perfect time to remove the coals without losing to much heat?

Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 04-17-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry, I got you mixed up with Tonybaker's oven. Have you got insulation under your floor? A new oven contains a lot more moisture than you would think and it takes a lot longer to drive it out than you would think. If you've only had two fires in it then that is insufficient to remove all the water. Keep firing and cook some stuff in the oven like roasts and bread, forget pizzas for now. You should start to notice an improvement in the ovens performance, ie. less smoke, quicker temp rise and more even heat distribution. It sounds like the top of your oven may be dry while the bottom and floor is still moist.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Sorry, I got you mixed up with Tonybaker's oven. Have you got insulation under your floor? A new oven contains a lot more moisture than you would think and it takes a lot longer to drive it out than you would think. If you've only had two fires in it then that is insufficient to remove all the water. Keep firing and cook some stuff in the oven like roasts and bread, forget pizzas for now. You should start to notice an improvement in the ovens performance, ie. less smoke, quicker temp rise and more even heat distribution. It sounds like the top of your oven may be dry while the bottom and floor is still moist.
Today, after 7 hours, the oven was at 100c, that is without embers inside and with the door on.
Em i supposed to leave the door on?
I have a thought that the moister would not have a way out.
And another question, do you wait for all the wood turn in to embers and the you rack them out?
I'm saying that because after i throw 2 pieces of 4 cm of olive wood on each side of the oven, they ignite of course but after a while the just stopped burning.Fearing that the heat will start dropping because the fire went off, i remove them so the embers and closed the door.

Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 04-17-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
they ignite of course but after a while the just stopped burning.
The ovens wet.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
Today, after 7 hours, the oven was at 100c, that is without embers inside and with the door on.
Em i supposed to leave the door on?
I have a thought that the moister would not have a way out.
And another question, do you wait for all the wood turn in to embers and the you rack them out?
I'm saying that because after i throw 2 pieces of 4 cm of olive wood on each side of the oven, they ignite of course but after a while the just stopped burning.Fearing that the heat will start dropping because the fire went off, i remove them so the embers and closed the door.
It sounds like the cause of your issue is the 30 cm of vermicrete under the floor, which is probably still wet. As the base of the dome and the insulation under the floor are the hardest to dry out, try spreading the fire to the base of the dome and just keep feeding it all day if possible. If it's wet down there you will probably notice a persistent ring of black soot which is also an indicator that the oven is still wet there.
If you are trying dry the oven leave the door off and the coals in.

Tags
curing oven, heating problems, temp problem