Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hearth Slab questions

And here is a picture of the form I built.
Attached Thumbnails
Hearth Slab questions-insulating-form.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Laborer

Is yours a 36 or 42 inch oven that will sit on top of that insulated slab? It looks like quite a reach from the front of the cantilevered ledge to the back of the proposed oven. Not sure my peel or rake would be long enough!
Nice job, though and i bet it did take a few beers to complete it.
Jim Bob
Old 06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine is a 42".

No problems reaching the back.

I use a hoe, a rack, a peel, (i do have a long peel though)

Although .... I usually don't have hair on my hand.

All in all. It works out well.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Laborer

I am being stupid again, but i don't know what a rack is. At least not that kind of rack! But everybody has to start somewhere, i guess.

I watched your pizza making video. Man, it sure cooked it fast. About 1.5 minutes?!!! You certainly can't leave the oven while it is in. The pizza appeared burnt on one side, so i was wondering when cooking pizza do you always leave the wood fires burning or do you ever get the oven hot and simply scrape all the coals and burning wood out so it might cook more evenly but perhaps take a little longer to cook?
Jim Bob
Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I am being stupid again, but i don't know what a rack is. At least not that kind of rack! But everybody has to start somewhere, i guess.

I watched your pizza making video. Man, it sure cooked it fast. About 1.5 minutes?!!! You certainly can't leave the oven while it is in. The pizza appeared burnt on one side, so i was wondering when cooking pizza do you always leave the wood fires burning or do you ever get the oven hot and simply scrape all the coals and burning wood out so it might cook more evenly but perhaps take a little longer to cook?
Jim Bob
Leave the fire in the oven. And it's usually best to add an extra log so the flames are just licking the top of the dome.

My costs:

My pics: