Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   hearth floor construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/hearth-floor-construction-20175.html)

avkroth 12-01-2013 07:39 AM

hearth floor construction

I am building a 36" dome oven. The base is ~50"x70" for the hearth floor with 2" angle iron on 16" center. I intend to use 1/2" concrete board and then a mixture of portland cement, quickcrete concrete, vermiculite with rebar and make that layer ~2" and set my 24x12x3 firebrick slabs on that.

Question is do you think the mixture of concrete, cement and vermiculite is OK?

Lburou 12-03-2013 02:11 PM

Re: hearth floor construction

Welcome to the forum. :)

In my mind, you need a structural base (my hearth base was 3.5 inches thick with angle iron and rebar), then an insulating layer (I used a two inch insulating board), then the oven floor (2.5 inch firebrick). I recommend you download and read the pompeii oven plans, they lay out the process for a strong base/hearth structure and a proven oven. Quickcrete will suffice for the hearth, but I would not mix the vermiculite in the structural base. Cast the vermicrete layer over the structural base/hearth. HTH :)

boerwarrior 12-09-2013 06:58 AM

I agree with Lee. What you describe will not insulate well and you will likely have difficulty getting the floor temperature up to where you want it. I used 3 inches of insulating board over a concrete base and I am very happy with the results!

stonecutter 12-09-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avkroth (Post 166133)
.....and then a mixture of portland cement, quickcrete concrete.............

There is no need to add Portland cement to a bagged concrete product.

Tscarborough 12-09-2013 10:00 AM

That depends Stonecutter. A lot of what is sold in big box stores is only rated at 2500 PSI, with actual breaks well below that. If it is their lowest cost product, a shovel per 80# bag is a good thing.

stonecutter 12-09-2013 10:42 AM

Yeah, I agree, but for an oven slab its overkill.

Tscarborough 12-09-2013 12:00 PM

For the slab, yeah, but I thought he was talking about the hearth.

stonecutter 12-09-2013 02:35 PM

Yes that's right, but I saw he is installing angle at 16" oc for the hearth slab. So 2500 is plenty strong with that kind of support. It's possible that his bag mix is the 5000 psi stuff....and more porty is way overkill that too.

stonecutter 12-09-2013 02:46 PM

I should just say I agree that a shovel of porty is good insurance for a #80 bag...and cheap. It is possible to add too much Portland in a mix design, but I think I am over thinking this.

kanoer54 12-09-2013 04:39 PM

just gotta ask....to clear my own mind...what happens if there is too much portland in a mix?