Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   It has begun, finally. (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/has-begun-finally-12791.html)

Derkp 04-27-2010 04:53 PM

It has begun, finally.

4 Attachment(s)
The hole is dug, block, rebar, brick, mortar, forms built...Rotten rainy snowy weather coming !!! All Stop.

I have posted various times but now have figured out how to post pictures.

Thanks in advance to all.

Please take a look and critique my seat of the pants design.

Oven height 16" inside dia.

door opening 10" and a little, 22" wide.

Oven Floor: 27" X 36"

Derk

Raffy 04-27-2010 07:35 PM

Re: It has begun, finally.

From what I can see you are doing a barrel oven design? Still snowing at this time??? Never knew Utah weather was so cold. Isn't it suppose to be spring already?

The mock up looks great. I like the two piece arches. Looks like you are on the right path.

Derkp 04-27-2010 09:34 PM

It was almost 80 degrees today, the next few days will be in the 30's for a low. A little rough on the garden.

I will be meeting with the fire marshall tomorrow to get the rules.

Yes it is a barrel design.

Derk

Derkp 04-29-2010 09:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Two things have been learned in the last few days:

1: Just because it was 72 two days ago does not mean that it will not snow last night.

2: Always check with the firemarshall first, our hole is 8 feet too close to the property line. Time to redig.

Tscarborough 04-29-2010 10:18 AM

Looking at your layout pics, why not move the inner and outer arches closer by 1" and eliminate the metal?

Derkp 04-29-2010 12:26 PM

Good suggestion, I will reposition the arches, less metal to potentially rust is better. I have enough firebrick to fill in around the flue with minimal ref mortar. I made two trips to the firebick pile to make sure I had enough.

The arches are also firebrick, $2.00 for each complete arch.

When the snow melts Gavin and I will dig the proper foundation hole.

Thanks

Derkp 05-05-2010 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go, I am committed, in more than one way. poured slab today.
68X86 slab
5-6 inches crushed 1" gravel
5.5 inches 6 bag concrete
5/8 rebar with 8 inche mesh

We cannot wait until it cures.

Tscarborough 05-06-2010 09:54 AM

You can lay block in a day or two if you want.

Thank you very much for the care package, this weekend I will be having honey wheat bread as well as honey ON my bread. Salute!

Derkp 05-06-2010 11:36 AM

Your Welcome, my pleasure. It is in the 50's again today. I was lucky to get the pad in. I thought it was going to rain, but it did not.

Does your door go past your chimney? butt against your inner arch? I am assuming that it does or else all the heat would go straight up and out.

Tscarborough 05-06-2010 11:55 AM

It is "keyed". The inner part fits into the archway, the outer part is 1" larger all the way around. That is how I built both of my failed doors and will make door #3.

That is the insulating door, I haven't decided on the outer weather door, I may make it as attached shutters.