Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   Half-thick firebricks (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/half-thick-firebricks-7725.html)

kebwi 08-29-2009 08:07 PM

Half-thick firebricks

Are thin firebricks okay? I have access to some that look very nice, sharp edged and all that, but they look very thin, I suspect about half the default 2.5". Obviously, the architecture would be considerably different from the Pompeii design, but other than that, would it basically work the same?

Would it require a ton more mortar?

Thanks.

kebwi 08-31-2009 07:38 AM

Re: Half-thick firebricks

2 Attachment(s)
There are 496 of these bricks available. My original question stands: Can one design and build an oven entirely with half-thick bricks and is 496 enough for a small 36" oven?

I'm not sure this is a good approach to take, but they're fifty cents a piece. Pretty tempting.

Thanks.

eprante 08-31-2009 08:07 AM

I am not sure it pencils out. Since you are going to use twice as many bricks, you will have more mortar joints ( not a good idea) and most likely use more than the normal 3 55lb bags of mortar. What savings you gain will most likely be eaten up in extra mortar, time and hassle. Regular firebricks are available in my area for $1.44 each.
Eric

kebwi 08-31-2009 08:22 AM

As I suspected. I think I'll pass on them then.

Thanks.

dmun 08-31-2009 10:47 AM

I think they would work. "Splits" as they are known are usually not used because they are the same price as full sized bricks. You would need a double layer for the floor, and you would have more joints in the dome, but they would be less angled, I think only a little more mortar would be used.

Also, the thinner brick would have fewer, smaller inverted "vee" gaps between bricks on the upper layers. If it were me, I'd skip the soldier course, and build your rings up directly from the floor.

kebwi 08-31-2009 10:52 AM

Interesting dmun. Thanks. Since I can get them for $.50 I'm tempted. Perhaps I can use them for the bottom 2/3rds and buy some full size for the top so I can cut chunky wedges up there (I'm constantly worried about fall-throughs in the ceiling, which seems silly since there are so few reports of that happening).

Best deal I've found on full size in my area is $1.50 and a $1.43 (a little further away).

jrparks 08-31-2009 07:01 PM

I-XL Masonry in Redmond, WA, $1.18 each.

kebwi 08-31-2009 07:11 PM

Actually, I-XL is the one that quoted me the $1.43 that I mentioned above, $1.10 for splits. Salmon Bay was the one that quoted me $1.50.

How long ago did you get that quote?

jrparks 09-01-2009 06:58 AM

I purchased them January and March for my oven. Perhaps they are quoting you retail. I went it asking for contractor pricing and I am not a contractor. I also got my refactory mortar there. Lowes has them for $1.45.

kebwi 09-01-2009 07:39 AM

Not the Lowes on Aurora at 125th. :-( Nor the Home Depot just down the road at about 120th. :-(

Maybe I'll waltz into I-XL and ask for contractor prices. ;-)