Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Master Builder

Smile Re: Getting Started on First build

You can build a Pompeii. It isn't as difficult as you think. It is intimidating to see the near perfect builds on the forum. But perfection is not required for performance. Look at some of the pics of the 1000+ year old ovens, they were not perfect at all and still stand. 2cents worth.
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Getting Started on First build

JCB - I think like myself, most of the posters on this forum had no experience with ovens (or even masonry) before embarking on their Pompeii journey. I wouldn't worry that much about that part. Whichever oven you choose to build, you still need to cut bricks and mortar them. That's all the same. If you go with the Pompeii, this forum is going to be a much more useful resource given all the shared experience.

One note on the build you are looking at - there's no insulation under or around that oven. It would not perform well as a permanent installation.

Another thought - given the design has the vent in the main oven chamber, you won't be able to isolate the oven chamber with a door to use the oven for baking after a pizza cook. That's a feature that most of us with the Pompeii find very desirable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
JCB - I think like myself, most of the posters on this forum had no experience with ovens (or even masonry) before embarking on their Pompeii journey. I wouldn't worry that much about that part. Whichever oven you choose to build, you still need to cut bricks and mortar them. That's all the same. If you go with the Pompeii, this forum is going to be a much more useful resource given all the shared experience.

One note on the build you are looking at - there's no insulation under or around that oven. It would not perform well as a permanent installation.

Another thought - given the design has the vent in the main oven chamber, you won't be able to isolate the oven chamber with a door to use the oven for baking after a pizza cook. That's a feature that most of us with the Pompeii find very desirable.
Deejayoh If I do go w/this style of build I can pull the vent out right?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Deejayoh If I do go w/this style of build I can pull the vent out right?
Which style? And what exactly do you mean by "pull the vent out"?

Updated!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Serf

The brick that protrudes from the core in the rear and front is there to make it much easier to set the harness in place solo.
The harness remains in place to contain the lateral expansion of the vault arch. For less than $100 in materials, you have very cheap insurance that your vault will remain intact for the life of the oven. Not overkill in the least. The oven we built at wildacres was a workshop, and as such we did not insulate under the hearth, which was explained at the workshop. We typicaly use 4 to 6 inches of cellular glass. Vault arch is done all at once, in monolithic fashion, not in individual bands.

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Hello I am going to build my first oven based on "2005 small commercial pizza oven w/Pat Manley" From the MHA site. (www. mha-net.org) I found thru a link on this site. W/that said I have a couple of questions. First if I look at the pics I noticed that they pulled out a course of brick on each side of the entry, Why? & there is threaded rod and c-channel on both sides, This is for strength, But dies it need to stay on the build after the motar sets up. Thanks & I hope this makes sense.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:12 AM
Master Builder

Hi Pat,

What is cellular glass? Is that anything like fiberglas, how is it commonly used?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Which style? And what exactly do you mean by "pull the vent out"?
Ken I am still thinking of building a Dome Neapolitan and It was pointed out to me that the flue was inside the oven floor space. So my thought was a little redesign and pull the vent out of the floor space. I hope this makes sence.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Serf

Cellular glass is like a "hard" glass matrix with billions of bubbles of air. It is an industrial strength insulator and comes in a variety of shapes (pipes, etc) and sizes. I use pieces that are 4(or 6) inches thick, 18 inches wide, and 2 feet long. It has a compressive strength of just short of 100 psi. Foamglas brand is made by owens corning. I build my entire oven cores on top of a layer of foamglas.
As a side note, a thicker layer of cellular glas is underneath all of the new oil tanks built in Kuwait to replace those destroyed in the war. It's also acts like a huge gasket/cushin. There was a mini shortage here for a few months as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Hi Pat,

What is cellular glass? Is that anything like fiberglas, how is it commonly used?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

jcp,

I took a look a the oven on the Mason's website you were thinking of building and if you can build it you can build a dome and not have to put all the metal work in. I never did any block or brick work before undertaking the WFO adventure and this is a great site for help, ideas and support. There is also a third option that some off the builders have done which is a barrel design. In any case the design choice is yours. Good luck with your build.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
jcp,

I took a look a the oven on the Mason's website you were thinking of building and if you can build it you can build a dome and not have to put all the metal work in. I never did any block or brick work before undertaking the WFO adventure and this is a great site for help, ideas and support. There is also a third option that some off the builders have done which is a barrel design. In any case the design choice is yours. Good luck with your build.
Beehiver I love your build. I am not sure what I am going to build. I do know what ever I do decide this is the site for Help. All the members are so helpful and nice. Thanks for the reply. I will keep your pictures in my favorites.