#11  
Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Tscarborough's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ausitn
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

It is hard labor and skilled labor, but it is fun to do. Start in back and you will figure it out. Also ordering a chopped 4 sides 4-6-8 mix will make it easier.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Posts: 44
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It is hard labor and skilled labor, but it is fun to do. Start in back and you will figure it out. Also ordering a chopped 4 sides 4-6-8 mix will make it easier.
Do you have contacts for concrete in the Austin area that will deliver 1.5 yards to Round Rock? My plans have finally been approved and I am ready to get this project going! Also, I need to source the high temp mortar for the oven. Who do you suggest in the area?

Thank's a million!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-16-2010, 04:56 PM
FrankT's Avatar
Serf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cedar Park
Posts: 19
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

I'm also getting started, I'm scheduling my pour for Friday afternoon.
I will have a mixer and 30 bags of quickcrete.
I have looked into getting the mix delivered but the minimum order is 3 yards to Cedar Park and I really do not want a big cement truck at the house.

Are you using a vapor barrier under your slab?

good luck on yours...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Posts: 44
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
I'm also getting started, I'm scheduling my pour for Friday afternoon.
I will have a mixer and 30 bags of quickcrete.
I have looked into getting the mix delivered but the minimum order is 3 yards to Cedar Park and I really do not want a big cement truck at the house.

Are you using a vapor barrier under your slab?

good luck on yours...
Frank, how did the pour go? Are you looking for fire bricks at all? At some point I bought far too many so we might be able to work out a deal :-)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Tscarborough's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ausitn
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

Sorry, Imissed your question. I got your PM and prefer to answer here so it may help someone else.

Your contractor wants to pour your slab monolithically, and that is not a problem, although his reasoning is flawed. If the oven/kitchen foundation is poured at the same time as the patio slab, there still needs to a difference in the dirtwork. The patio is just 4" deep with wire and/or fibers, while the oven and counter slabs needs to be a little more robust, with some rebar, and possibly beams around the perimeter.

I do not do masonry work, I am on the other side of the fence selling masonry products. You should do it all yourself, if not call me and I will give you a couple of names. 431-0870.

In the Austin area there are 3 companies that sell firebrick, refractory cement, etc.

Acme Brick has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement, and their sister company Featherlite should have perlite.

AHI has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement and fire clay, and may have perlite.

MPI has a full line of refractory cements, firebrick, and perlite.

Also, Elgin-Butler brick in Elgin will sell cheap #2 firebrick if you go pick them up.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 AM
FrankT's Avatar
Serf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cedar Park
Posts: 19
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

My pour went well, thanks for asking. I had lots of help...
I had calculated 24 bags but I ended up using ALL the quickqrete I had, 32 80# bags. I guess it was the 8"+ of perimeter beam I dug that used up more volume. And I did end up using a 6mil vapor barrier.

I have not bought my bricks yet, so I might get with you, but that won't be until sometime in September. (July I'll be away on vacation and August will be the block stand and second pour)

Are you finished with your dome? If not you may wait to see how many you have left over. How many bricks did you end up getting?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Neil2's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 1,374
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

I've used 12 inches of concrete - for airport parking aprons.

4 inches of reinforced concrete is plenty.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Posts: 44
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
My pour went well, thanks for asking. I had lots of help...
I had calculated 24 bags but I ended up using ALL the quickqrete I had, 32 80# bags. I guess it was the 8"+ of perimeter beam I dug that used up more volume. And I did end up using a 6mil vapor barrier.

I have not bought my bricks yet, so I might get with you, but that won't be until sometime in September. (July I'll be away on vacation and August will be the block stand and second pour)

Are you finished with your dome? If not you may wait to see how many you have left over. How many bricks did you end up getting?
I haven't even gotten the foundation started. Been pretty busy at work etc. I have 618 bricks so I should have a few left...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Posts: 44
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Sorry, Imissed your question. I got your PM and prefer to answer here so it may help someone else.

Your contractor wants to pour your slab monolithically, and that is not a problem, although his reasoning is flawed. If the oven/kitchen foundation is poured at the same time as the patio slab, there still needs to a difference in the dirtwork. The patio is just 4" deep with wire and/or fibers, while the oven and counter slabs needs to be a little more robust, with some rebar, and possibly beams around the perimeter.

I do not do masonry work, I am on the other side of the fence selling masonry products. You should do it all yourself, if not call me and I will give you a couple of names. 431-0870.

In the Austin area there are 3 companies that sell firebrick, refractory cement, etc.

Acme Brick has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement, and their sister company Featherlite should have perlite.

AHI has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement and fire clay, and may have perlite.

MPI has a full line of refractory cements, firebrick, and perlite.

Also, Elgin-Butler brick in Elgin will sell cheap #2 firebrick if you go pick them up.
Thanks for the help! Yes, the contractors want to do a beam and if I can do the patio separately that's great.

I already picked up a ton of firebricks 2 summers ago (pallet full) so I should be good to go. I think it's 618 of them. I want to do it all myself but I'm concerned about the finish work on the stone as I said earlier. Do you know of anybody that would be willing to show me how to do the work? If so then I'd be all for doing it myself!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Tscarborough's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ausitn
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

Another alternative would be faux stone over the CMU, it is much easier to do, and you are not as limited on styles. Plus I know where you can get it for about 20% of the normal price on closeout.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
form, foundation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting my foundation questions? Italfranco1 Pompeii Oven Construction 17 07-15-2012 04:16 PM
Round foundation help tony boca Getting Started 36 08-30-2009 10:01 AM
roof pitch and dome thickness ttriche Newbie Forum 0 11-08-2008 08:47 PM
Form for 24" ? pjcampo Newbie Forum 10 10-23-2008 04:38 PM
Foundation Thickness thebadger Newbie Forum 27 10-01-2007 12:57 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC