Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

It is hard labor and skilled labor, but it is fun to do. Start in back and you will figure it out. Also ordering a chopped 4 sides 4-6-8 mix will make it easier.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It is hard labor and skilled labor, but it is fun to do. Start in back and you will figure it out. Also ordering a chopped 4 sides 4-6-8 mix will make it easier.
Do you have contacts for concrete in the Austin area that will deliver 1.5 yards to Round Rock? My plans have finally been approved and I am ready to get this project going! Also, I need to source the high temp mortar for the oven. Who do you suggest in the area?

Thank's a million!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Serf

I'm also getting started, I'm scheduling my pour for Friday afternoon.
I will have a mixer and 30 bags of quickcrete.
I have looked into getting the mix delivered but the minimum order is 3 yards to Cedar Park and I really do not want a big cement truck at the house.

Are you using a vapor barrier under your slab?

good luck on yours...
Old 06-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
I'm also getting started, I'm scheduling my pour for Friday afternoon.
I will have a mixer and 30 bags of quickcrete.
I have looked into getting the mix delivered but the minimum order is 3 yards to Cedar Park and I really do not want a big cement truck at the house.

Are you using a vapor barrier under your slab?

good luck on yours...
Frank, how did the pour go? Are you looking for fire bricks at all? At some point I bought far too many so we might be able to work out a deal :-)
Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry, Imissed your question. I got your PM and prefer to answer here so it may help someone else.

Your contractor wants to pour your slab monolithically, and that is not a problem, although his reasoning is flawed. If the oven/kitchen foundation is poured at the same time as the patio slab, there still needs to a difference in the dirtwork. The patio is just 4" deep with wire and/or fibers, while the oven and counter slabs needs to be a little more robust, with some rebar, and possibly beams around the perimeter.

I do not do masonry work, I am on the other side of the fence selling masonry products. You should do it all yourself, if not call me and I will give you a couple of names. 431-0870.

In the Austin area there are 3 companies that sell firebrick, refractory cement, etc.

Acme Brick has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement, and their sister company Featherlite should have perlite.

AHI has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement and fire clay, and may have perlite.

MPI has a full line of refractory cements, firebrick, and perlite.

Also, Elgin-Butler brick in Elgin will sell cheap #2 firebrick if you go pick them up.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Serf

My pour went well, thanks for asking. I had lots of help...
I had calculated 24 bags but I ended up using ALL the quickqrete I had, 32 80# bags. I guess it was the 8"+ of perimeter beam I dug that used up more volume. And I did end up using a 6mil vapor barrier.

I have not bought my bricks yet, so I might get with you, but that won't be until sometime in September. (July I'll be away on vacation and August will be the block stand and second pour)

Are you finished with your dome? If not you may wait to see how many you have left over. How many bricks did you end up getting?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've used 12 inches of concrete - for airport parking aprons.

4 inches of reinforced concrete is plenty.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
My pour went well, thanks for asking. I had lots of help...
I had calculated 24 bags but I ended up using ALL the quickqrete I had, 32 80# bags. I guess it was the 8"+ of perimeter beam I dug that used up more volume. And I did end up using a 6mil vapor barrier.

I have not bought my bricks yet, so I might get with you, but that won't be until sometime in September. (July I'll be away on vacation and August will be the block stand and second pour)

Are you finished with your dome? If not you may wait to see how many you have left over. How many bricks did you end up getting?
I haven't even gotten the foundation started. Been pretty busy at work etc. I have 618 bricks so I should have a few left...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Sorry, Imissed your question. I got your PM and prefer to answer here so it may help someone else.

Your contractor wants to pour your slab monolithically, and that is not a problem, although his reasoning is flawed. If the oven/kitchen foundation is poured at the same time as the patio slab, there still needs to a difference in the dirtwork. The patio is just 4" deep with wire and/or fibers, while the oven and counter slabs needs to be a little more robust, with some rebar, and possibly beams around the perimeter.

I do not do masonry work, I am on the other side of the fence selling masonry products. You should do it all yourself, if not call me and I will give you a couple of names. 431-0870.

In the Austin area there are 3 companies that sell firebrick, refractory cement, etc.

Acme Brick has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement, and their sister company Featherlite should have perlite.

AHI has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement and fire clay, and may have perlite.

MPI has a full line of refractory cements, firebrick, and perlite.

Also, Elgin-Butler brick in Elgin will sell cheap #2 firebrick if you go pick them up.
Thanks for the help! Yes, the contractors want to do a beam and if I can do the patio separately that's great.

I already picked up a ton of firebricks 2 summers ago (pallet full) so I should be good to go. I think it's 618 of them. I want to do it all myself but I'm concerned about the finish work on the stone as I said earlier. Do you know of anybody that would be willing to show me how to do the work? If so then I'd be all for doing it myself!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another alternative would be faux stone over the CMU, it is much easier to do, and you are not as limited on styles. Plus I know where you can get it for about 20% of the normal price on closeout.

Tags
form, foundation