Old 09-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Foundation Thickness

Les/RT;

Thanks. I looked up and the building inspection web site says the frost line is 30 inches...

I thought I was doing the right thing asking my patio guy to make the slab 6+ inches..

What are my options? I can't tear the whole patio asI just put a post for the pergola in that corner.

Any advice would be appreciate.

THanks
Dick
Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dick,

Again, it's about your soil. If your house is sitting on an old lake or river bed, you may have a problem. If it's located on an old decayed mountain top - you're probably good. In the worse case scenario, I would think you could set a few holes at the correct depth and then tie them into your slab with rebar. I am not a PE or contractor, I'm sure that someone here can give you solid advice. As a thought (and a few glasses of wine), you may get away with setting your block on expansion joint material. That's totally outside the box and I am unaware of anybody doing it. EVERYBODY - input please...

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lets hope Uno chimes in again, he is the resident conrete expert. I'm certain he will have a solution. The man "is concrete".
Old 09-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
Les, your right. I should have carried my thought a bit further.
To put it simply - movement of merely 1/4" - 1/2" could do serious damage to a Pompeii or cast refractory oven. I think most everyone has seen where a stone or brick fireplace have settled (or the surrounding structure) and the cracked mortar and bricks associated with the settling.
In the case of an oven we are talking about a self supporting dome; it's structural integrity would certainly be compromised by settling, upward, or lateral movement.

RT
Hmm, wouldn't the hearth slab protect the oven to a degree? It'd be the stand I'd worry about initially - that gives way and cracks will be the least of your worries.

Oh, and I trust my plumber if that makes you guys feel any better. I gotta admit to a little nervousness - I'm having several issues fixed at once in an old house - can we say expensive? Now if he can just get here to fix my pipe - I miss having water.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
Les/RT;

Thanks. I looked up and the building inspection web site says the frost line is 30 inches...

I thought I was doing the right thing asking my patio guy to make the slab 6+ inches..

What are my options? I can't tear the whole patio as I just put a post for the pergola in that corner.

Any advice would be appreciate.

THanks
Dick

The picture I have of this patio is the oven will be located on an outside corner and that sounds right from this post. Having the pergola post in the corner is not a problem for the retro fit (other than appearance) if you do as I mentioned "you can always pour a nice footing in that corner doweled into the slab and build on this." you will be fine.

There are 2 ways you can do this:
1. Dig out under the edge of the slab (one side at a time) and pour a footing under the slab. if you go back 10" and down 3' or so the slab corner is going to rest on this footing. then repeat on the other side.
2. Dig out under going back only 4" and have the remaining 6" outside dowel into the slab corner with rebar to connect the 2. digging this out with post whole digger first then carving out the under side is a good way to go. If you keep the dirt edges nice and straight and trimmed you do not need to use a form.... awww forget it I will post a drawing...

By building on this I mean the new footing (under the ground would support the slab
Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Alright Uno - that's pretty much what I had envisioned for a fix. Great minds think alike
Dick, Forget my suggestion of the expansion joint material. After reading it this AM, I realize that I must have had some pretty strong wine

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Journeyman

Here is the basic idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Thickness-ohio-slab-retro.jpg  
Old 09-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Journeyman

Thanks Uno, Les RT and everyone else.

Not sure if this helps or not but here is a pic. It sounds like I just need to dig around the slab where the oven will go and not the whole patio. The oven will go in the far left hand corner about 6 inches to the right of the post.

Thanks
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Thickness-pergola-progress.jpg  
Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Too bad you don't live here.

Our frost line is like three inches....

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Journeyman

Uno

One other comment: The rebar is only in the back corner of the patio in the Pizza oven area (my contractor said I didn't need it in the whole patio since he used a fiber reinforced concrete) - not sure if that matters or not. The patio thickness should be about 6-8 inches there.

Question
How wide should the footers go? Can the footers just be the post whole width at the corner or do they need to be wider (I see the depth and front to back width you recommend).

Again, Thanks for everyone's help. I thought I hit a wall but it sounds like there is a solution before I build.

Thanks again
Dick

Last edited by thebadger; 09-27-2007 at 01:06 PM.