Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Floor heating problem - help!

dmun, AMEN & THANK YOU!

Ahmad - no disrespect intended, I just hope there are fantastic healthcare and life insurance options available in Pakistan. I have a bad feeling your family will need one or the other very soon.

RT
Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
dmun, AMEN & THANK YOU!

Ahmad - no disrespect intended, I just hope there are fantastic healthcare and life insurance options available in Pakistan. I have a bad feeling your family will need one or the other very soon.

RT
Yes, there are really great healthcare services available in Pakistan and we do have life insurance available. But you gotta clear your point, why would I need one of these by just building an oven?

I am an engineer and I built my oven myself without any plans or layouts. I know very well how things work and I'm absolutely sure about what I've built.

I just came to this forum to find an expert opinion.

But you gotta explain to me, why would I need a healthcare or a life insurance to fire a pizza oven?

Ahmad
Old 12-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Serf

I'm not discussing the gar burners. I was just trying to figure out why I couldn't heat up my oven floor.

I won't share my precious thingi (you know what) details online .

No offense, but just for your information, its not just homemade, it's an engineered thing (you know what) and it's more engineered than an ECU and much more safer than those available commercially

Hope you let it through...

Regards,
Ahmad
Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Serf

@RT

If you need any help regarding any design issues or any other issues of a brick oven, please feel free to contact me. I'd love to help you & it wont void my insurance

Regards,
Ahmad
Old 12-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ahmad,

We aren't trying to give you a hard time. We really are trying to help.

If you built a dome-type refractory oven similar to the others built on this forum, your oven will likely perform better (and less expensive) using wood instead of gas as a fuel source.

We would enjoy seeing pictures of your oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Serf

Dear Ken,

I'm really happy to see your reply . I'd surely share my experiences and pictures of my oven on this forum. Rather I feel really excited to show some of my humble work to others.

I appreciate your help and your gesture.

Thanks & Regards,
Ahmad
Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Laborer

I am interested to see your work. I am still in the planning phase for an oven. (And likely will be until I get out of grad school) I am interested to see the materials you have available. I imagine that a few things are different than in the states or down under. Thanks for sharing.
Bevan
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Is this Ahmad's oven ?
Attached Thumbnails
Floor heating problem - help!-propane-explosion.jpg  
Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Journeyman

Sorry Neil - that was my oven

Ahmed, I used a weed burner torch for doing my original heating. Here is the link to a similar unit: Propane Torch

What I learned from this is that the very large flame without an impingment brick during the curing caused a hot spot and a crack. When I put a 12"x12"x2" impingement brick in, the flame hit it and allowed the heat to circulate better. Cool thing was that the flame hitting the brick (made in 1911) started to glow.

When I start the oven (or my smoker), I use the weed burner with the wood in the front half of the chamber and moderate the flame. Once the wood is going, I kill the flame and let the wood take over.

My estimate is that I would use nearly 2.5 gallons of propane to heat the oven based on my curing fire notes. Using a small burner ring would take quite a bit longer (basic reaction chemistry) as I can burn much more fuel than a ring burner. Also, the ring burner will blow its flames out due to the inability to maintain a proper flame front (too high of gas velocity out of the orifices) which is what you are probably suffering from!

Not sure where you are in PK, but if wood is available, by all means use it with gas as a supplementary starter.

Hope this helps

Chris

Follow my build
Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Serf

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for a detailed explanation

I'm not using a ring burner. I have a pipe sort of burner with 3 flames and I've now placed it on the left side with the wall of my oven. (My oven is not an oval shaped, it's barrel)

I also have a burner by the back wall of the oven but when I put the both on, the left one starts to go off; it is having trouble maintaining its flame for some reason while the back one is on.

Yea, burnable logs are readily available in my area, I'd surely give a try by burning wood in the oven as well.

I also have redone the opening. My oven originally had a high opening which I thought was releasing too much precious warm air out of the oven.

Now I have 8" high and 15" wide oven opening and my doom height is around 18" at the maximum.

Thanks,

Ahmad