Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Floor buckled

Yea 4" vermiculite concrete which was left for 4 weeks before i did anything else. It was very firm.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You might consider pulling the floor and relaying a looser fit floor - and if it isn't smooth enough - use a sander to even it up. The bricks don't need a super tight fit to be a good, functional floor.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have been on this forum a little over 5 years and I have NEVER seen anything like this. It has always been deemed safe to place the dome on top of the floor, but this obviously makes a strong argument against doing that. Has your hearth slab been compromised in any way? If thats not the case, I would remove all the floor brick that you can and grind down the rest. Place a thin ceramic board down to get an even surface and replace the floor. It's a butt load of work but it will get your oven back to working.

Good luck!

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I disagree Les. Placing the dome on the floor has nothing to do with this, nor does mortaring it down.

I hate to do forensic masonry diagnosis (although I do forensic masonry diagnosis often) from a few pictures, but my best guess is that the wedge of refractory cement underneath the chamfered bricks has failed in some places forcing one end of the brick up. Thermo-tumescence is the correct term, but I have not seen it with these materials. If it were a compressive failure, it would be more or less uniform around the perimeter, and the upthrust ends would have an equivalent downthrust end, which they do not appear to have.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Serf

I'm still in the planning stage. If I don't want to place the dome on the floor, should the FB insulation be sized to the outside of the dome, or the inside?

Stray
Old 10-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I disagree Les. Placing the dome on the floor has nothing to do with this, nor does mortaring it down.
Clearly, if the floor was "floating" It would be a hell of a lot easier to replace. Thats where I was going with that statement. I thought about the chamfer being the cause, but if the mortar failed at that point, where could it go? To lift the brick 3/4 of an inch, something else has to be coming into play.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got ya. Yes replacement would be easier if the floor was not under the bricks.

But the advantages of the walls on the floor still outweigh placing the floor inside, I think, although certainly not for this case.

Edit- It would appear that the mortar used experienced thermo-tumescence, which means it swelled when it was heated. Many things do this. What was your mortar, DublinTom, and do you have a spec sheet on the vermiculite used (raw vermiculite is extremely thermo-tumescent).

Last edited by Tscarborough; 10-06-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 AM

I'm pondering the concept of thermo-tumescence. Is this different than standard expansion of materials?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, because a material that experiences heat expansion will return to it's normal size when it cools down. It is also a matter of degree. Perlite, for example, when it is processed from the raw material can expand 10 to 20 times in volume.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Peasant

I took out the floor today. I think i was just unlucky with the batch of bricks that I used as they seem to have failed completely. Literally the bottom half of some of the bricks just crumbled away. Interestingly the homemade mortar skim that I used to square out the brick was perfect. I am going to buy some new bricks and lay a new floor. I was lucky with the the layout in that i did not have to remove much from under the walls.
I could probably lay down the new bricks exactly the same way if they are exactly the same size but should i leave expansion gap around the circumference, and if so how much.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor buckled-img_3666.jpg   Floor buckled-img_3667.jpg   Floor buckled-img_3668.jpg   Floor buckled-img_3670.jpg