Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Peasant

Default Re: First Pizza was a disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
I hope you get it sorted. If it is built to specs then looking for technical remedies is the caper. One positive is that it is all up from here. We all had a few scarey pizzas, truth be known.
Steve
Looked at your Pics and looks like you are doing a great job with your oven.
As I said before, my problem is not with my oven. I know it's me .
When I first started using a microwave oven 45 years ago, I remember the cooking instructor saying, " If it's not done, you can always put it back in for more minutes. If it's over done and tough, you throw it away". That's what I'm going to start doing with my WFO.
I have 8 people coming over Sunday afternoon for my first Pizza party and I'm just trying to sort it out so they won't go home hungry and laughing.

All my guest that are coming, have heard me talk about "Planning on building a great WFO" for the past year.

Last edited by Mexman; 04-02-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeppiper View Post
My first pizza (attempt) ended up with my dough stuck on the peel and all my toppings and sauce in the ashes in the back of the oven. I have since improved my process.
Bravo for the honesty. Truth be known most of us have had our share of experiences like that, to one degree or another.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Bravo for the honesty. Truth be known most of us have had our share of experiences like that, to one degree or another.
How true.

After my first 40 or so pizzas, I attempted TXCraig's sourdough pizza recipe from pizzamaking.com, only my sourdough starter, while strong and vibrant, wasn't enough to overcome my lack of gluten-building skills during my stretch and folds. Therefore the opened ball, once loaded with toppings, was weak and stuck to the cutting board (despite volumes of flour).

My brother offered to pull the pizza onto the table-side wood peel I was holding, and when he yanked the pie free, the force of his elbow hit my arm, knocked me and the peel back a foot and the entire pizza ended up on the floor. I've never seen a sorrier sight in my life...
Old 04-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Peasant

All my guest that are coming, have heard me talk about "Planning on building a great WFO" for the past year.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read Mexman, you have indeed built a great WFO.
Temperatures are getting there. Insulation looks like it's doing it's job.
Might take a bit longer and a bit more wood to heat it up, because you are trying to saturate twice the usual thickness with heat.
Had my first pizza parties last weekend (Sat and Sun - all pizza'd out now!).
Saturday the floor got to about 350degC (roughly 700degF) and pizzas cooked ok when i got the hang of it.
Sunday it got to about 450degC, and I was knocking pizzas out in about 60seconds (seemed like it anyway), which to be honest, was a little too fast and too hot for my new peel skills, so "Stone Baked" became "Baked Stone" in some cases, Especially when some bright spark suggested a Calzone!!!!After ramming it into the embers and dragging it back out with a garden rake, they were presented with something described as a blackened conch!!
We all gotta learn.
So doing thin bases, I shake mine off the peel, watch it puff up slightly round the edges, and JUST start to change colour. Then I try to lift it with the peel. If it sags a lot, or is still soft leave it a few more seconds to firm up a bit.
Get the peel under it, bring it out, turn it round on the peel, you might see the other side has gone brown. Then put it back in for another short while, 10, 20 30, seconds - you'll get the idea after a few tries. Some pizzas I turned once, others more, depends how they cook. No expert so this might not be THE WAY. But got me through a pizza party.
And another thing - have your guests roll some dough and cook some pizzas.
It's part of the fun and if they mess it up, the fingers will not all be pointing at you. Maybe have some extra dough handy though. and beer.