Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   Fire brick group buy in UK (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/fire-brick-group-buy-uk-3467.html)

A_man_needs_a_project 03-05-2008 02:05 PM

Fire brick group buy in UK

I've been thinking of building a pizza oven for some months now. I am ready to go, but the price of the bricks is pretty high in the UK. The cheapest I can find them for is £1.60 each +£35 shipping. I reckon I need at least 200 bricks, which makes this a project difficult to slip under the Mrs' radar.

I emailed a supplier and they advised "So, while a lower alumina content
brick is somewhat cheaper to produce most of the cost these days is in
shipping from China, India or Russia. No-one actually imports these
bricks because its easier to have one brick which can be used in every
situation
".

If we get a group of us together we can either encourage an importer to ship them in, or email China and get them to email us direct. Is anyone else interested in a group buy to collect from Southampton or Salisbury?

dmun 03-05-2008 03:31 PM

Re: Fire brick group buy in UK

China? We don't need no Far Easterners. The USA is becoming the new third world with our currency in the toilet. They are under a buck retail here in New Jersey:

progressivebrick

Or you can see a list of manufacturers here:

ThomasNet® - Category Search Results: Product/Service

I see at least 4 firebrick manufacturers in eastern PA, which is brick country nearest to the atlantic ports. It's worth a few emails to find out what quantities they would need to do an export order.

gjbingham 03-05-2008 08:15 PM

.....or a nice road trip to France or Italy. Save money, have a great 3 - 4 day weekend!

Inishta 03-05-2008 11:43 PM

Welcome ........there are a few UK builders on site that can probably point you in the right direction. E.bay uk is a great source of material or reclamation yards. Try this Sheffield company that specialize in new or reclaimed refractory materials and fire bricks.

http://www.handsworth-refractories.co.uk/fire_brick.htm

:cool:

Frances 03-06-2008 02:37 AM

The place I got my bricks actually produces them... in Germany, but thats closer than China or the states anyway. They're not the cheapest around, but they are exactly what you're looking for - might be worthwhile if you go for the weekend trip version...

Kandern Feuerfest GmbH

The homepage isn't all that informative, but if you're interested I can give you more info and/or translation services.

But check out Inishtas idea first, sounds like like a good advice.

TDVT 03-06-2008 04:30 AM

I just priced out brick on Monday (3/3/08) & was quoted $1.80 ea from a proper masonry supply yard here in VT. With energy cost spiraling the way they are I wouldn't be surprised if that is a large part of the cost these days.

Acoma 03-06-2008 02:26 PM

Thanks to Dusty, I was able to get mine from a wholeseller at .30 each. Unbelievable!.

Debora 03-15-2008 03:48 AM

May I know from where I can get Fiure bricks to build pizza oven or ready-made pizza oven in the reasonable price. Let me know any shop or market in UK from where I purchase.

WG Firebrick 03-16-2008 05:18 PM

Check out these two sites for locations offering firebrick in the U.S.

:: Whitacre Greer ::
Rumford Dealers

Faz 03-21-2008 01:49 AM

Bricks come up from time to time on EBay, I got a quote for £0.25 a brick which seemed excellent. The bricks came from a hop oven and they had loads of them.

Alternatively, keep your eye open for old storage heaters which is what I am doing, though as the brick is an odd shape I am preparing myself to have to do some extra cutting.

All depends how much of a rush you're in.