Old 04-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Serf

Default Re: Fire brick group buy in UK

The bricks cleaned up great. There are 106 of the thinner bricks (62mm) and the rest are 74mm thick. The thinner bricks are on the left of the first photo attachment, the 74mm bricks are on the right. The bricks in the photo are a selection of the bricks I have at my sister's in Doncaster; I only have 74mm bricks in Salisbury.

I have a pile of damaged bricks too which would make great wedges etc, and these are available free with a purchase.

I have looked hard to buy bricks at a reasonable price and was keen for a group buy so we can all get a good deal. I took a risk by paying for the group buy before any confirmed orders, so I welcome your support. I am happy to sell these spare bricks at 95p for the 74mm bricks and 85p for the 62mm bricks, where I expect to break even. The bricks are as good as new, and are unused. Please let me know ASAP if you are interested.

Thanks
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Fire brick group buy in UK-cimg2592.jpg   Fire brick group buy in UK-cimg2597.jpg   Fire brick group buy in UK-cimg2599.jpg  
Old 04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Laborer

GREAT! - I am interested in those bricks!

I am looking to build a pizza oven, based on the plans on this web site, but like every one here in the UK have struggled to get bricks at a reasonable price, so this is good news for me.

I am in Kent and would plan to drive over to pick up the bricks - how many of the 74mm bricks would be needed for a standard 1mtr oven?

definitely a beer, or two, in this for Martin.

Brad
Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Serf

I found a few companies that will supply brick in UK:
Furness Brick & Tile Ltd
Dudley designs - Also cement and castable mixes
Purimachos
Hansworth
Adamant

Have a search, as said before the delivery can be the killer but some of these are fixed prices, though distance also is a factor, so check for a local option.
kitsonsthermal Insulation Products - Kitsons Thermal Insulation Supplies[/url] look possible too.

Could someone do a contact list for UK??
Old 04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Serf

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the post. I've sent you a PM. I'm not sure about the qty of bricks, its probably best to download the plans from the links on this site and scale accordingly. The bricks are going fast (thanks to all) so you will need to be quick. Just a warning, the bricks are 4.5kg each. A family car can handle about 600kg. Otherwise look at palletline (approx 1 tonne) or rent a van from van3000, who I think are brokers for Europvan/car.

For those who have contacted me - there is a problem with my BT line but they promise to fix it tomorrow. Otherwise PM me and i'll call you back.

James - thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Martin
Old 04-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Laborer

Hi Martin,

I want to buy 200 bricks - the quickest I can get to you will probably be next weekend - bank holiday - will this work for you?

did not get that PM, by the way.

Brad
Old 04-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Serf

Thanks to everyone for their interest. 4 people have confirmed their orders and I have allocated bricks for them. This leaves me with 100 large bricks left in Salisbury and 81 smaller bricks in Doncaster. If anyone is interested please let me know. Apologies to Brad and Figman, you were pipped at the post, but I still have 100 left if you want them. The 81 smaller bricks would be ideal for a base, with engineer bricks for the dome (not as robust as firebricks all round, but a cheaper solution).

It shows us all that bulk buying works. I would recommend that fellow builders try and do something like this again in the future. There is clearly a strong demand (but its hard work lugging tonnes of bricks around the country!).

Its a good business opportunity for someone to source bricks, buy fireclay, source inflatable balls (for the mould) and sell them as kits - as long as the price is reasonable. Is there anyone out there who would be interested in this? It may be worthwhile contacting James to discuss.

Thanks again to everyone. Happy building!
Cheers
Martin
Old 04-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Laborer

I can confirm these are good bricks - and thanks to Martin !

I've picked up about 110 mixed large and small today, and my Saab 9-3 was errrrrr at its limit !!!

I think Clayman is a good source for fireclay - I'll be ordering tomorrow so I'll keep people posted.

Cheers

Peter
Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Laborer

Hi Martin,

I would like to buy the remaining 100 large bricks - with a pick up over this bank holiday - to secure this i could transfer the payment into your bank accout.

Brad
Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Serf

just like to say thanks to martin pick up 150 bricks from salisbury excellent condition and a great deal max540
Old 05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Laborer

Big Thank-you to Martin!

I picked up the 100 bricks last Friday in my BMW 330CD sport diesel. With the tire pressure set for a max load the car was not bothered with the extra load, in spite of my driving. Got to say this car has taken such a hammering, and has taken everything I have thrown at it.