Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: finally finished

Ok its done!
So do I need a protective barrier for treated pine or can I just put it straight down?
Attached Thumbnails
finally finished-dscn3002.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Peasant

yes or both LOL I am at my shop chomping at the bit waiting for my modular oven to be delivered
Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Apprentice

If I dont need to put anything down I wont , but if I do what is it I put down , plastic?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Master Builder

Straight down is fine but a moisture barrier would be better vinyl would be best , be sure to use the proper nails that go into the pressure treated pine. A good galvanized will do or a coated screw.

I say vinyl is best because here in the states they changed the pressure treated pine. Some of it is for above ground use and some for direct dirt contact. Both on the other hand do have some corrosive properties when it comes in contact with some metals.

Sorry to see you did the dreaded Re-do. But if it sets your mind free from worry then it was for the best.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Apprentice

thanks for the heads up, I hate ripping stuff up but I wont get any sleep if I left it as it was. Sometimes it is easier to tell yourself you stuffed it and to start again, I guess that is how you learn, trial and ERROR! and thanks to all who posted so nicely saying change it without actually saying it. Standby for 2nd instalment.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Peasant

Now you know you are right good luck gotta go unload my new modular will have pictures coming
Old 03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up A suggestion...

Lift each section up and put piece of pressure treated wood in underneath....The counter height will be 1.5 inches higher, thats all. If you nailed it down, use a sawsall and cut the nails. When you are done, use a ramset to nail it down again. Big mistake, not a big correction.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is common for outdoor kitchen builders to place Trex, a wood and plastic composite, made primarily from equal parts reclaimed hardwood sawdust and reclaimed/recycled polyethylene plastic between their framework and concrete slab.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwdtb View Post
Sometimes it is easier to tell yourself you stuffed it and to start again, I guess that is how you learn, trial and ERROR!
Hey yours was just a cuppla sticks, mine is a complete oven redo....

Old 03-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Apprentice

don't use a metal flashing under the treated.. it will rot aluminum in a heartbeat. the vinyl should work, or even a scrap piece of roofing felt. Faith is right... be very choosy in what you use for fasteners, treated lumber can be very corrosive