Old 09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Early planning, not so insulated

Well in the spirit of small and easy on the landscape you can't beat the little Primavera oven. Ready to go.

Primavera Beehive Oven | Wood Fired Beehive Oven
Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Serf

I looked at that,.... but geez... $2200 ?? plus shipping?? OUCH! I don't think I'm that much of a pizza purist. I could be very happy with just a kitchen oven pizza on a $50 stone. Not as fun though. And part of the fun is saying "I built it myself". What's it cost to build one of these ovens,... about? I tried to open a spread sheet that one person had linked to but I was unable to see it.

Btw, I use a $10 wall mart stone now. It's lasted longer than any other stone I've had. Most crack after a few months. A $50 Forno Bravo stone would be an upgrade for me

At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate,... has anyone used a Foro Bravo stone in a gas BBQ? Do they crack? Maybe that's a subject for another thread. I've tried it once with another stone and it cracked right away. So any pizzas I cook on the BBQ are cooked right on the grill (not a good way to make pizza that's for sure)

Hmmm. I >do< sound like a cheapskate, no doubt about that.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know my oven costs were over 2000.00 and I did all the labor myself....
Old 09-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Serf

Well dang! That would buy a lot of good pizza stones. Being retired, that's a little too much for me to spend on a pizza oven,... and I >like< to spend money. I guess it boils down to where one likes to spend their money. I build and fly radio control models https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/ . I have >way< more than $2000 tied up there. Cooking is just my secondary hobby. Idea: Maybe I could talk the wife into getting another job.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

PP, oven costs have been discussed in quite a few different threads. Long story short - you can build an oven at NO cost (check out the thread by an old member redbricknick-, he bartered for all his materials) or spend thousands of $$$. Realistically, using the right materials and paying "retail" prices you can easily stay under $2000. If you don't go extravagant on finish materials (a basic stucco igloo), you would be closer to $1200.
I put about $2000 into mine, including tools/accessories (that includes the $200 HF tile saw).
Shop around, prices REALLY seem to very on refractory materials. I got luck on a few things (firebricks @ 77 cents, HeatStop 50 @ $55 a bag, and a 25 sq. ft roll of 2" Insulfrax blanket for $20 plus $19 shipping - I was the only bidder on ebay for this item).

Good luck, don't give up on the dream......a quality stone is good, a WFO is incredible.

Nothing wrong with keeping the wife busy (second job), you may grow tired of each other if you spend too much time together. Don't tell her that.

RT
Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You don't have to use heatstop. You can go with the "homebrew" mortar referenced in the plans. You don't have to use the ceramic blanket insulation. You can go with the vermiculite or perlite, either mixed with portland or loose, depending on the kind of enclosure you want to make.

I used both heatstop and homebrew, and I didn't see much difference at all- either in the use or in the result. I have both blanket and vermicrete- I think the blanket's the cats meow, but I think the verm. works fine, you just need more inches of it.

Both of these options save you a lot of money- and if you don't think you'll use it for retained heat cooking, use the cheaper insulation- but NOT less of it. Dmun's right- use a smaller thickness, like 3 inches, to save heat up time. You will get 3 pieces out of every brick that way, too, and use fewer. If you use less insulation, you will have a heck of a time getting it up to temp- we've seen sooo many folks on here who didn't insulate enough (or at all!) and had to burn for hours to get one unsatisfactory pizza.

I built a 36, and I only cook one pizza at a time. It's too hard for me to deal with more than that- they're cooking in about 90 seconds, and I just can't keep them turned and not burned. I do bake bread in the oven, and I use my accumulated home made charcoal to grill- on my lovely FB tuscan grill. I also do beans, roasts, stews, beer can chickens, you name it.

If I were you, I'd go with the Primavera- really not that expensive when you consider that it's complete- stand and all- costs less than my double oven did! (and probably works better, but that's another lament...) The other choice would be a smaller than 36 inch oven. There's a whole foot's worth of difference between the 36 and the primavera- you could go with a 30! You can move a Primavera around, too. Not easily, but much more easily than the Pompeii.

I have a pizza stone and I also have unglazed quarry tiles for my inside oven, but they don't make pizza nearly as well as my Pompeii! They make good bread, though, when it's too rainy or too hot to fire up the Pompeii.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Pizza View Post
My back yard is small. Fitting in a 36" oven without totally destroying the current landscape is a challenge. I need it to be as rather compact as possible.

The way I look at it I don't care if it holds heat for 18 hours. I just need to make a couple pizzas, then I'm on to other things...
Have you considered building a temporary, mortarless oven? If cost is a major factor you might consider exploring this route.