How big is the door on your 21" ?
W and H
400 x160 mm inner door
440 x 180 mm outer decorative arch
Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Peasant

Default Re: dome oven size

Good start-up question...

Hopefully I am not piggy backing on your thread, hopefully my questions adds to the overall mix.

One of the questions I have been pondering is the maximum width of a door opening correlating to the height (63%) of the internal dome. I am building a 42Lx36W barrel (all-in-one) oven. My ideal height is 12" for the inside viewing and look, which would make the middle of the dome about 19" (way to high, heating + $$$)...how is the math .

What would be a good formula to insure a wide enough opening (for those rare big dish moments) without sacrificing the 63% magic number for an overall effective build in minimizing wood burning, fast heat buildup (within an hr) great heat retention for few days).

I understand one needs to take into account the overall insulating factors from the to above dome and so forth.

Your Thoughts
Thanks,
Sandro
Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: dome oven size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saovicente View Post
Good start-up question...

Hopefully I am not piggy backing on your thread, hopefully my questions adds to the overall mix.

One of the questions I have been pondering is the maximum width of a door opening correlating to the height (63%) of the internal dome. I am building a 42Lx36W barrel (all-in-one) oven. My ideal height is 12" for the inside viewing and look, which would make the middle of the dome about 19" (way to high, heating + $$$)...how is the math .

What would be a good formula to insure a wide enough opening (for those rare big dish moments) without sacrificing the 63% magic number for an overall effective build in minimizing wood burning, fast heat buildup (within an hr) great heat retention for few days).

I understand one needs to take into account the overall insulating factors from the to above dome and so forth.

Your Thoughts
Thanks,
Sandro
You can't really have it both ways. Oven design is like boat design. Flat hull vs V hull, long waterline vs short waterline etc. if you make the walls thin for fast heat up then you reduce the retained heat baking capacity. There is no formula for door width, but the wider it is the easier the access to the oven and easier to work. The downside is that a wide door will increase heat loss. A big oven means bigger chamber volume and more fuel consumption. Most home owners only cook one pizza at at a time because it takes longer to prepare one than it does to cook it. That means you have wasted space and fuel. If you want to feed 50 or more, then you probably need a large oven. With a low dome you end up with a low door which also restricts the height of a large roast through your door. You have to decide how and what you will be cooking.

Last edited by david s; 02-17-2014 at 12:17 PM.