Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Serf

Default Re: Does size matter

Gday all ,thanks for the feed back. Food for thought.Ive a couple questions:
1 Does the door size have to be 63% of the dome size or can it be say 55% if the oven is large enough.
2 What is the difference between a tuscan and a pompeii dome.And how much harder is it to build.
3 How much insulation is enough.
4 How thick should the render be.
5 Can I use fire bricks on top of the concrete layer then tiles for the floor,or would this be to much.

Cheers John
Old 09-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Journeyman

Hi John
I would download and read the free Forno Bravo Pompeii oven plans which will answer all of those questions in detail .

Chris
Old 09-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Serf

Thanks Chris. Its the one the minister of war and finance down loaded for me a couple of weeks ago.:-[ Have red it again and things are starting to become a little clearer. So i guess i need to read it a few more times.lol It looks like a tuscan dome for me.
Well have started digging the foundations they are 7.0m x 7.3m x 0.1m ,with in that is the pad for the oven @ 2.5m x 2.5m x 0.150m. Yaaaa hooooo.:-) Cheers John
Old 09-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Serf

Gday all, have a bit of confusion in the old brain box. I would like to increase the hieght of my dome to allow me to put in a little larger door.
Can I stand a brick on its end and start the first coarse from there giving me 230mm xtra in hieght. Possible?
Cheers john
Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Journeyman

Hi John, as you will read in the FB pompii oven plans, the inner arch height has to be a percenntage of the dome height to preform properly. I am at the finnishing stages of a 42" Tuscan WFO. My dome height as recomended in the plans is 21", the inner arch height is 12" and the width is 20". The lower the dome height I believe will cook at pizza better if that is a persons main goal, but all I do in mine is at the end of cooking a pie I do what is called "domeing"and hold the pie on the peel up at the dome to finissh the top for just a few seconds.

chris
Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Does size matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer63 View Post
.... I would like to increase the hieght of my dome to allow me to put in a little larger door.
I did that by elevating my hendo (indispensable tool) tool.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 09-22-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Serf

Gday lee will check it out
cheers john
Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Serf

Talking Re: Does size matter

Gday all, does anyone know if you can use a steel cut off saw with a masonry blade to cut fire bricks.This will be done dry unlike a brick saw.Just thought it may be a way to save a dollar or two.
Cheers John
Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer63 View Post
Gday all, does anyone know if you can use a steel cut off saw with a masonry blade to cut fire bricks.This will be done dry unlike a brick saw.Just thought it may be a way to save a dollar or two.
Cheers John
John - this thread has veered way off course. To your point, yes. It will eat up the saw faster than it was intended but you can do it (protect your lungs because the dust will be nasty).

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
John - this thread has veered way off course. To your point, yes. It will eat up the saw faster than it was intended but you can do it (protect your lungs because the dust will be nasty).
Rig up a water feed to the blade