Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   Day one problems (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/day-one-problems-10468.html)

btflorida 01-20-2010 08:02 PM

Day one problems

Started my design work and I already have problems. :(

I went to my local brick supplier today and they no longer carry the regular firebrick. They now only have the high duty bricks at $1.85 each. One year ago they had the regular duty ones for $1.17 each. They suggested I use a clay paver which is fired the same as a firebrick. With all the reasearch I have done here I will use that as a last resort only. It may mean that I will have to travel 2 hours to Tampa where I should find the correct brick. I must admit the pavers are attractive at $0.36 each.

On a bright note they can order the 50lb bag of Heatstop 50 for $75 plus shipping. They only have the 10 lb pail. I would love to order more from this site but the shipping from CA to FL is a killer.

Guess I will have to keep looking.

Les 01-20-2010 08:16 PM

Re: Day one problems

Have you considered the brick kit from FB? Shipping may be a show stopper, but it may be an option.

Pompeii110 Oven Kit :: Installation Accessories :: Forno Bravo Store

Les...

btflorida 01-20-2010 08:38 PM

Initially I did. I was looking at the 90 due to size constraints. The web site lists crating and shipping at $1280. More than the cost of the oven. It's a lot cheaper to drive to Tampa.
I will be ordering the insulation from the site :), as I haven't had any luck finding that cheaper locally.

RTflorida 01-20-2010 10:55 PM

bt, if you come to Tampa you will have a few choices for firebrick, I have one that I highly recommend. Although I did not purchase any products for my oven initially, I have purchased stone and pavers from them in the past as well as about 3 wks ago.

Oldcastle Coastal/Coloroc - (locals simply call them Coloroc as that has been there name for many years)
Located on Anderson Rd. in Tampa, Phone = 813-886-7761 or 800-344-7761

Their firebrick price has not changed in 3 yrs - I think they just quoted me $1.24, same as 3 yrs ago. Very clean and smooth bricks. I went with a cheaper supplier 3 yrs ago (77 cents each) in Lakeland, my bricks were a lot rougher and irregular than those at Coloroc.
I'm pretty sure they stock Heatstop 50 so you would not have to pay for shipping.
If you have REALLY deep pockets, they also sell Mugnaini ovens, starting at around $5000 - no, that does not include installation.
Great people, I just spent $200 on stone and pavers for my oven 'remodel/waterproofing' and after I paid and they loaded me up I mentioned I also needed about a dozen flagstones, they told me to pick what I needed and 'don't worry about it' (general manager, not the yard help) - saving me about $50-$60.

If you don't mind the drive to Lakeland, I can look up the number and address of the place in Lakeland. The lesser quality bricks were 77 cents and Heatstop 50 was $55 a bag - 3 yrs ago.
I had zero luck on reasonable insulation locally as well. I bought my blanket, vermiculite, and perlite all on the internet.

RT

btflorida 01-21-2010 05:40 AM

RT

Thanks for the info. Actually I have the phone number for Oldcastle right in front of me. I was planning on calling them today. If I can plan a trip properly, it may be worth getting the cheaper bricks for the dome and using the good ones from Oldcastle for the floor. Otherwise I will just get all of them from Tampa. I might think about that if I have a trip to Orlando in the near future. Would the place in Lakeland you mentioned be Cement Products and Supply Company, on Main Street?

Thanks
bt

RTflorida 01-21-2010 06:53 AM

Thats it! the most simple name, but I can never remember it. Good luck, keep us posted.

RT

james 01-21-2010 08:48 AM

btflorida,

Give us a call on 800 407 5119 and ask to get the actual shipping cost. It seems that the FB Store is calculating from a wrong weight or dimension. We will check into that.

James

grega 01-21-2010 03:26 PM

BTflorida, I just bought fire brick from old castle on Metro pkwy. for 1.75 a pc. they did quote me 1.85 and I said COME ON!! She did knock off 10cents, WOW! Anyway it helped . Buy the way I am in Ft. Myers, and am in the construction of my oven, drop me a line.

grega 01-21-2010 04:11 PM

BT Florida, where in Ft. Myers are you?

btflorida 01-21-2010 05:31 PM

Grega

Thanks for the info. Was it Bell and Cook on Metro? I have been dealing with Ruck Brothers who no longer stock the regular duty FB. I will call them tomorrow. How far along are you with your project?

Actually I am in Lehigh, but most know where Ft. Myers is and they have never heard of Lehigh.

bt