Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Serf

Default Re: Day one problems

Btflorida,
I bought them from old castle on metro pkwy. just north of winkler, they are average duty for fireplaces and will be fine for this application, The price was a bit high but would cost way more in time and gas( not to mention the weight of hauling them back to FM) to go to Tampa which is where Old Castle's main office is located. I want the oven to not only cook pizza but store enough heat for baking bread long after the belly is full. ha! I am in N. Ft. myers near Orange Grove and Hancock Brdg.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Serf

grega

After calling oldcastle in Tampa I confirmed that their distributor in Fort Myers is Ruck Brothers, which is on Metro just north of Winkler. When I went to Ruck Bros. a couple of days ago they only had the High Duty FB for 1.85 each. I have no idea and maybe someone who knows can comment, but according to the instructions on the Pompeii oven I downloaded from this website, the High Duty bricks will get too hot. (Appendex 2, Brick primer, pg70).

Again I have no idea what I am talking about, only what I have read from this site. I just didn't want you to go through all the work to have problems afterward. When I purchased the HD bricks a year ago, the item number on the reciept was FIRBHD. You may want to check.

Hopefully someone with more experience will enlighten me.

bt
Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Serf

They call these premium duty meaning very smooth,The alumina content in these bricks are 28.7 percent which is about were you want to be. And by the way Ruck Bros. was bought out by Old Castle.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Serf

That's great news. I was obviously misinformed. When I went in there she told me that they were High Duty bricks. Those would be perfect, guess I will get mine there. I wonder why OC/RB in FM is 1.85 vs 1.45 in Tampa?

Thanks for the info!!!

bt
Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Serf

Smile Re: Day one problems

Well BTflorida,I guess the cost of trucking them down here has gone up, of course they didn't have 230 of them when I ordered them they had to ship them from Tampa, she still knocked off ten cents appice which as I said before did help and I was grateful as I told her. I concidered going up there , but for the time and not to mention the weight of them i just thru it down and had them deliver to my home. They will be fine for this oven, save yourself some time and go get em!! Ask for a discount I'm sure she will give it to you. Are you under construction? Can you smell the pizza yet?ha! Do you have e-mail available? G
Old 01-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Serf

James,
Can the oven kit be picked up at the Windsor location? I am 6 hours from there and have family in Santa Rosa... I could kill two birds with one stone (pun intended) and perhaps save myself the crating costs.

Newbie ready to rock n' roll,
Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Is there anything specifically wrong about building an oven with heavy-duty firebricks? If the concern is that the thermal mass will take too long to heat up, couldn't you just build a thinner oven? If you align the bricks so they face radially, the walls will be 2.5" thick (like dmun's oven).

...of course, I'm not sure if that is the "property" of a heavy-duty brick in the first place. In fact, I'm not sure what the difference is except that heavy-duty bricks will kill your saw blades faster. :-)

I admit, I'm speculating, I have no idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 01-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Serf

G
I will probagly go up to Tampa an pick up what I can load in my van along with the Heatstop50 as the local store was $15 more expensive plus shipping. Besides it gives me a reason to meet up with a friend of mine for lunch up that way. I am still in the planning stages as I have an existing concrete block smoker right beside where the WFO is going and I need to figure out how to match the two up.

Mike. Definately give them a call. The shipping costs on the web site were way off on the oven kit. I was told all other shipping rates were correct. For me I will buy the insulation from here and the bricks locally. Shipping across country still adds up. I bet you will probably be able to pick it up.

Kebwi. According to the instructions on the Pompeii oven, the High Duty bricks will get too hot for cooking because of the high alumia content. I'm with you, I have no idea and luckily I don't have to worry about that problem anymore.

bt
Old 01-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Serf

GO FOR IT!! Make sure your tires are air up properly, don't want "day two problems". And FYI, high duty is the generally the first level of fire brick rating, It's the alumina content you must look at, these are at 28.7 which is fine no matter WHAT you read or hear. They are rated to 2300 degrees which you will NEVER get close to that. besides it doesn't take a bon fire to cook with. Good luck, have a great lunch.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Serf

BT,
Thanks, I've been in contact with FB in regards to shipping quotes. They are going to get back to me. I really feel lucky to be close to the source and hope to send as much business there way as I can. This forum has been an amazing influence for me. I've reviewed countless builds and believe I can really do this.

I do live in a pretty remote area (we call it 100 miles from nowhere) but have found resources in Sacramento... firebirck @ $1.10 ea. I've come up dry looking in the Reno Nevada area which is only 90 miles from me... perhaps a builder closer to me could chime in with suppliers in that area.

I look forward to starting my build thread,
Mike