Old 03-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: daves build

I was wondering regarding the refractory mortar how long it takes to dry? or does it always remain slightly pliable? seems to have properties like a hard putty!
cheers
dave
Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No - it should dry rock hard and fairly fast. What did you use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Which refractory mortar? If you mean homebrew, it takes a very long time to thoroughly harden, like weeks (and it probably isn't truly finished until you cure the oven with fire). If you mean the premixed, like HeatStop, then I have no experience with it.

I was impressed over the course of my build how the old mortar slowly got harder and harder. But honestly, it took weeks.

The slower is cures, the stronger it'll be...I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 03-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Apprentice

I used the bag stuff and just added water to a peanutbutter consistency!
I also put the fire bricks in water before laying so they didnt suck water out of mortar, that was last night and this morning you can still push your finger into it! can I lay anoter ring ontop of that? its hard but not like real mortar
Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Apprentice

Hey les, love your build, awesome!
I might have to speak to you later on about how you tie the barby into that benchtop!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, like I said, I know nothing about the bag mixes and Les's comment suggests it should harden quickly, but if it had been homebrew, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it were soft only half a day later. I would often rag-wash my mortar (to clean my joints) up to 48 full hours after mortaring, even 72 hours, although I had to rub pretty hard at that point. The homebrew really takes a long time to become "rock-like".

But I just can't speculate in the case of premixes. Maybe someone else will chime in.

At any rate, you can certainly work on top of mortar that hasn't cured to a rock yet. My oven was often hardening several rings below where I was working.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwdtb View Post
Hey les, love your build, awesome!
I might have to speak to you later on about how you tie the barby into that benchtop!
Not a prob - just send me a PM.

Les...

Old 03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK - maybe it's an issue of humidity. My home brew was hard in less than 24 hours (it will get harder in time, but there was no way I could push my finger into it). I am in the desert with very little humidity. In regard to the purchased mortar. Ref Mix fired on me in minutes from a point of workability -heat stop was not far behind.

Les...

Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Apprentice

The stuff I have got is refractory mortar bought from brick refractory so it should be the bee's knees! It is a bit harder than I originally thought I might ring the brick refractory, thanks for your replies
Cheers
Dave
Old 03-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Apprentice

I just spoke to brick place , and they assured me that being soft the next day is perfectly normal and more likely if its cold overnight which it was last night , so feeling much better.They also said it can go back to putty like if it rains and will totally harden after first burns.