Old 03-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Curved fire bricks

Quote:
In my estimation it would not be so different than using rectangular bricks but maybe a wee bit trickier
It shouldn't be. After beveling and tapering my dome bricks, it was a fairly quick process to lightly drag the face of each brick across the saw blade at an angle to create a shallow concave 'dish' shape (both vertically and horizontally).

I know that a large number of builders favor placing an untouched brick face towards the center of the oven to employ a 'best-fired' surface, but I was intent on eliminating the 'I' overbite that results from stacking straight-faced bricks placed in a round.

I would think that manipulating the face of a curved brick would take no more (straight) cuts than shaping a rectangular brick, but would simply be more expensive to start with.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:09 AM
Serf

here is a photo of the ones I have. Not quite as tight as the ones in the previous photo.
Cheers James
Attached Thumbnails
Curved fire bricks-20140309_201846.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day James
You mentioned in you first post that you had brought a kit with these bricks?. What size oven is this to produce?
How many of these curved bricks are supplied?
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Serf

Hi Dave, I have not counted but there should be 160 of them and make an oven up to 1100mm. I am stil in the planing stages at the momont and have not even started the base yet.
Cheers
James
Old 03-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Curved fire bricks

G'day
160 bricks for the dome sounds like a goodly amount for that size dome even with some cutting.
I think that GianniFocaccia comments on curved bricks is spot on you should treat them no differently than strait ones really.
You really should read GianniFoccasias build as part of your preparations
Regards dave

My Build

My Door