Old 08-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by janprimus
James is a truly generous individual who recognizes that in helping other get what they want, he will get what he wants. There are a lot of folks out there that look at the process of building their own domes and are put off by the amount of work. There is nothing wrong with that. A creative endeavour such as this is truly a labor of love. I have had people look at me and my oven and ask why in the world would you want to do that much work? Then there are others that look at it and really get the artistic side of the whole project. These are my people. :-) Any of you that create your own ovens are my kind of folks. James, in his business ethic and his "joie de vivre" is my kind of people and I thank him.
Peace to all.
Chad
Amen.

I've shown my Pompeii oven to my friends, and have cooked them some wonderful pizzas. I am "infecting" them with the desire to own a wood oven. This will spread, and create a trend. The demand for prefab wood ovens will grow.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Thanks all,

I think this is one of those nice situations where what is good for the community is good for Forno Bravo, and vice-versa. Everybody benefits. You don't see a good thing like this everyday -- so I think we should all be proud of what we are building (individually and collectively). So spread the word, make great pizza, and let's keep up the good work.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Journeyman

Default Cheaper to build

I would also like to thank James for this forum and website. It has been a major source of inspiration, information and ideas for me.

I think one needs to keep in mind if you still need to build the foundation, stand, and hearth for both the purchased and home built ovens. So, the costs for those is the same. Same goes for the "dress up" finish cost, if that is what you choose to do.

Here is about what I have spent so far;
$140 for the foundation
$ 200 for the stand
$ 250 for the hearth
$30 for 15 sq ft of 1 inch insblok-19 insulator
$2 for 1 lb of stainless needles (mix with cast refractory for strength - vent)
$40 one 50lb bag of refractory mortar
$240 for 10" wetsaw and blade- bought not rental
$60 for 60 firebricks at 0.95 each
Total = $962

Anticipated future costs;
$40-80 for more mortar
$150-200 for more brick
$100 for 2" fiber blanket
$50 one bag of castable refractory
$70 for chimney
$50 for copper clad door
Total = $460-550